oil pan removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
folks,

got a leak in between the oil pan and the oil pan skid plate plate(probably rusted thru like everything else on the truck). can i remove the oil pan from underneath without damaging the oil pump?

tks
chris

Yes.

You'll need your bottle jack, a scrap piece of 2x4 wood, and perhaps a large screwdriver.

Place the bottle jack against the frame rail and put the 2x4 against the oil pan. Use the bottle jack to push on the 2x4 (after all bolts are removed) until the oil pan starts to move. It takes a while. Use MUCH patience. Go just a little at a time. allow a few seconds between pushes for the gasket to 'move', it will start to move eventually. Use screwdriver to encourage this if needed.

Easisest way I've found is with an air chisel, slowly and carefully. On the other hand, if your pan's leaking at the skid plate, it's shot anyway. The pump is not in close proximity to the area you would be working in.

your pan and your skid plate are one unit and sorta the same thing, so order a new pan before you start this job (i think my fj62's was around 150 bucks brand new OEM). once you remove it, your pump will just hang there, out of harms way. and, it's been said many times, but also order a one piece OEM gasket when you put it all together. do not try to use a three or four piece gasket (or however many pieces the cheap replacements use); they are a pain and don't work without a lot of effort. do the above and wear clothes you can throw away afterwards, as this job is just about messier than a knuckle rebuild.

Same thing happened to mine years ago. I pulled the pan, cleaned it up very carefully/thoroughly, and welded all around the skid plate. No more leaks.

oldman said:
Same thing happened to mine years ago. I pulled the pan, cleaned it up very carefully/thoroughly, and welded all around the skid plate. No more leaks.

Sam problem here. Did the same to fix it.

hmmmm. i VERY carefully removed the oil pan and cleaned all the old gasket off block and pan, which was one of the more difficult things i have done on the machine. i then cleaned very well all around the pan and plate...and used JB-WELD to fill the seams all around, which cost about $16 and some time to set. NO LEAKS!!! I just could not find where it was leaking once i had the pan off...what a disappointment! It has been solid for over a year and is a lot cheaper than a new pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom