Oil pan re-seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning on resealing the oil pan on my '97 LX starting this afternoon, I've searched for a good writeup, but haven't found one, but based on what I've read, I need to extend the front suspension. I bought bigger jackstands so I can lift the frame up and get the front suspension extended. Do I also need to lift the engine off of it's mounts? I have a cherry picker to to that, but would like to avoid it if possible.

Is there anything else I should do "while I'm in there"?

How long should I plan for this?

thanks,

John S

Definitive thread on the project:

I just went through this process about 1 month back. Job is really straight forward.
Pull the front D/S and the sway bar.
This job was actually a 'while your in there job' for me as my main goal was to swap out the motor mounts. I have a 3" lift and I suspect that i wouldn't have needed to raise the engine but I am not 100%.
Be careful not to damage the the oil level sensor. Other than than that just make sure the mating surfaces are spotless before applying the FIPG.
Oh and powerhose the hell out of the underneath. You will thank yourself later for that.

I would use the Toyota fipg, fipg 103 is for the oil pan and other related components. do the job in the afternoon and let the fipg set over night, as per instructions theres a 2 hr set time before refilling with oil and running the engine

I have permatex ultra black "maximum oil resistance" gasket maker. Should I hold off until I get Toyota FIPG 103?

I had to loosen my passenger side motor mount . I left the nut on a few turns and that have enough room to lift te engine to clear the oil pan. I used a floor jack and wood block on the crank pulley.

It's not the kind of job you want to repeat so using toyota fipg is a good idea.

I haven't done this job yet but I would highly suggest cleaning the underside as best as you can before taking anything apart.

crap... I guess I'll put it off some more and get the FIPG 103. On order now.

I have permatex ultra black "maximum oil resistance" gasket maker. Should I hold off until I get Toyota FIPG 103?

Yes. That is a silicone based product and does't like oil.

There is another product that looks similar, and is made by Permatex. "The Right Stuff", BLACK only in a Cheez-Wiz can, and $25/can. It sets up in 5 minutes and can apply oil within 15 minutes.

I have not used it on an oil pan or compared it directly to the Toyota FIPG, but I use it on all my hubs and axles with excellent results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom