Oil Pan Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fourrunner

SILVER Star
Threads
What is the torque sequence for bolting on the oil pan? Don't have access to the FSM for the motor. Also, I found one bolt to be longer than the rest. Aren't all the bolts the same length? SOR says so.

No, TWO of my bolts were longer than the others. It's the 'starter bolt'. Put this one in first, otherwise they won't be long enough for the threads to engage. Put the starter bolt in and snug it down, then work your way around the outside one bolt hole at a time. Afterwards I just torqued to a random 'feels good' pressure.

The first bolt is the hardest.

The seqence is similar to the bolt pattern of your wheels - work from the outside corner, then go to the opposite outside corner, and work your way in. When I did mine, seems like I did that twice, then went all the way around to make sure they all felt the same (snugness wise).

Also, get yourself some red Loctite so you're not up under there again in 3 months tightening them...and again in another 3 months.

All my bolts were the same length and I did it just like swank says except I used the copper gasket sealer on one side.

Generally speaking when bolting something rectangular, you work from the middle outwards, alternating sides. More like a torquing on a head...

BTW, There is no torque sequence in the 2F FSM.

Good info. Can we get this in an official "tech thread" for easy searching?

fourrunner, where did you get your new pan from, if it's a new one? The amount of oil loss I have is much lower, but I would just assume clean up the area and make sure it stays clean, so I may replace mine along with a good gasket and some Loctite as well.

Thanks,
Winston

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom