Oil pan gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think the gasket went on my oil pan after I had to pull my friend out of the mud. Noticed that almost all the oil was on the ground after I had shut the truck off for a few minutes. The leak is towards the front and is dripping off of the right side of the front right swaybar. Could it be the oil pan came loose from offroading or pulling someone out of the mud? I tried putting in one quart of oil and it lost it as fast as I could put it in the truck, there was just a tiny but left that didn't touch the gasket in the pan I'm assuming. HOw much of a PITA is replacing the gasket? I know drain the oil, unbolt the pan, scrap off the gasket, put in new gasket with gasket cement then replace oil.

I've been quoted almost $500 to have a shop do it on my new 80, and I probably will. CDAN told me when he did his himself it took him a long time (27 hours). I guess you've got to jack the motor up a couple of inches at the rear mounts to do the job. I'll probably pay Robbie to do it. ;p

chris, he's got a fj80, which has the 3FE. Not sure if those pans are sealed with RTV or a regular gasket.

Are you sure it's the oil pan leaking?

What you describe doesn't sound like an oil pan gasket-those just drip. Yours sounds like high pressure loss. Check the easy stuff like a loose oil filter, or an oil filter accidently installed on top of the old gasket.

I think the 3FE also has that oil galley head plug above #5 spark plug. On 2Fs at least those blow out and dump all of your oil on the ground. So look for oil blowing out of the head. Fill up the truck with oil, have someone start it and see where the oil is coming out. With this much leakage, you should be able to spot it.

Obviously, though, do not drive the truck until fixed unless you want to buy a new motor.

I'm gonna go out and check the oil filter right now. When I crawled under it it looked to be leaking on the side of the pan, like it was coming from the top where the filter was..Might've jarred that loose? I'm overdue for an oil change as it is so the filter might've went? Thanks for the help.

cruiserman said:
chris, he's got a fj80, which has the 3FE. Not sure if those pans are sealed with RTV or a regular gasket.

Are you sure it's the oil pan leaking?

Ooops. :eek: Gotta pay closer attention! :doh:

I don't think the pan is leaking, all the oil is being dripped on the far right side, where the oil filter is. And I'm really due for an oil change so we'll change the filter and see what happens.

Jesse Berdinka said:
Did you do the oil change yourself? Is it possible it was just a crappy formal filter removal?

Last change I didn't change the oil. Filter seems on tight enough and the filter is on the other side of the engine. Just put 2 quarts in the truck and started her up and revved it to get the oil pumping, oil pressure level is fine, there is no oil leaking out of it at all. I got under the truck and felt all around the pan to see if there was any new oil leaking there was nothing. I don't get it. :confused:

nyk438 said:
Last change I didn't change the oil. Filter seems on tight enough and the filter is on the other side of the engine. Just put 2 quarts in the truck and started her up and revved it to get the oil pumping, oil pressure level is fine, there is no oil leaking out of it at all. I got under the truck and felt all around the pan to see if there was any new oil leaking there was nothing. I don't get it. :confused:

I guess what I meant was when they changed the filter did they do a messy job and let a bunch of oil leak out of the used filter by not putting a rag down there?

I'm guessing there was a lot of accumlation of oil or I rattled the filter or something somehow, I'm doing the oil change tomorrow, as long as it doesn't freaking rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom