Oil Pan Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, I have checked all the threads, can't find the answer, so here's another question. I have an oil pan gasket that I got from CruiserDan, it appears to be too large where it goes into #1 & #4 bearing area. If I seat one side the other side is up about 1/4 inch, if I seat both sides the bottom and top are ok but I have small gaps at the corners. This might correct itself when bolts are tightened, or thats what the gasket seal in the corners is for...if this is normal please let me know.

Also I don't see how you can keep the U part of the gasket in the grove of the #1 & #4 mains without a bead of sealant, is it ok to use sealant on the pan side of the gasket?

I can already hear someone mutter...what do you want someone to do it for you! Taking my time and asking all the questions that come up will prevent me from having to do this twice :)

Thanks

Sometimes they don't fit as snugly as you would like.........it will take form when the pan is installed....

The side with little tabs on the outer edge goes toward the front........

I always use sealant on both sides in the main cap areas and a few dabs of super glue along the sides to help hold it in place while installing the pan........

GL..........

I usually like to put some gasket sealent on the corners to hold everything in place. Are you using a 1 piece or 3 piece gasket?

I usually like to put some gasket sealent on the corners to hold everything in place. Are you using a 1 piece or 3 piece gasket?

one piece. My biggest problem is the fit, along with trying to keep the part that fits around the mains lined up with so much play. What I have committed myself to is using sealant where the mains are, only on the pan side, clamped with some clothes pins to hold in position until it sets, that should allow me to get the pan into position without the gasket coming out of place.

Thanks

Someplace there is an oil pan gasket install thread by Poser that shows how he ties each corner of the gasket with cotton string. Should be much easier than the clothes pin idea. Look for the thread.

I permatexed the gasket it to the pan and let it sit with clamps for a few hours. First time, i didn't let it sit long enough and ruined the gasket. Second time it worked ok, but I think it might have been easier to permatex it onto the block not the pan and then just bolt the pan up. maybe keeping some screws through the gasket into the block while you are waiting for the adhesive to dry to make sure it stays lined up.

It's permatexed, clamped and drying, putting it on in the morning. I agree, I think putting the gasket on the block may be easier, but it's actually supposed to be a dry gasket, with exception of the mains, that's why I went with sealant on pan side only. Did you use sealant on both sides?

I think the FSM says put sealant on the corners of the block where the arched parts of the gaskets meet the sides of the gasket. I did that right before I put the pan on and also put some sealant in the arch grooves on the block.

I've heard some people say do not use permatex rtv bc it can clog up the oil pump, but i didnt know what else to use. I was just extra careful not to get excess inside the pan where it might peel off. I might have a tiny bit but I think its ok.

I used the orange Copper Permatex stuff. I tried the black permatex but it didn't work for me at all. Couldn't get it to stick to anything or make a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom