Oil Pan Gasket woes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up an OEM gasket as everyone recommended. Once the pan was off and cleaned I laid the gasket on top to check its fit. Each corner sat approx. 1cm off the pan. This is unusual right?
Yet, I went forward with the install anyway and sure enough, when I was done, the "U" ends wouldn't sit inside the grooves on the block and now I can see the gasket, with black RTV, and the leak is worse than before. Go figure.

3 Things:
1. In the spirit of not giving up I'm going to do it again in a couple weeks.
2. This time, no RTV, instead I'm using Form-a-Gasket that my hot rodding, off-roading neighbor suggested.
3. Going to use a torque wrench... that works.

Wish me luck fellas!!

Did you get a pan gasket for a 60 or for your 62 ?

Reason i ask is the pans are different.

I'll echo what krzyabncanuck said. Until I was ordering some parts from Beno a little while back, I assumed that all F series engines used the same pan gasket. I found out that my 2FE most likely leaks from the pan gasket because I used a 2F gasket with a 3FE pan instead of the proper 3FE one.....

That's a good point. I assumed it was correct because I ordered it from Toyota and they asked for the year, make and model like usual. Everything except the corners fit fine (or the "U" at each end wasn't deep enough).

Anyone know the differences between a gasket for an 87 and an 88?

Sent from my phone IH8MUD app

The gasket for the 87 would be for a 2f oil pan, but for the '88 it would be like mine a FJ62 which then would have a 3fe, and a different pan. Might double check with the dealership and get a part # to look up.

I have the exact issue on my 3FE40. I've been through two gaskets and still have the same leak. The front seal is fine, but the back saddle or "U" has a slight gap between the pan and gasket. After I get tired of cleaning it up every week, I'm just going to order a new pan and gasket at the same time. Hopefully that will fix it

Assuming you have the correct gasket, the gasket will sit up a little out of the pan prior to install. If you didn't do the string trick and "glue" the gasket to the pan using toyota "fix in place" gasket maker or equivalent I would do that as well. It can be tricky to it started but once you do she should just pull up nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom