oil pan gasket replacement question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '79 with a 2f....I had some slow drips coming from the little plug on the the lower flywheel cover, so I took it off. I noticed that it looked like the leak was coming from the end of the oil pan gasket. I bought a 1 piece gasket from toyota and was going to replace it....but wanted to ask the experts if it is as simple as dropping the pan cleaning the surfaces and putting on the new gasket. any tricks or secrets? I would have no problem tearing into it on a lesser truck, but this truck has turned the simple into complex enough times to be worthy of advice from the gallery! Oh, and can the whole operation be done from under the truck? (I did already figure i had to remove the oil!! :D)

thanks everyone

I have the same drips, but I was under the impression that it was a slowly wearing/leaking rear main seal. ???

Yea, I was thinking the same thing, and hoping I was wrong. If the oil pan gasket is as simple as it should be, I was gonna do that then see if the leaks continued. They aren't bad I guess....but I can't believe there is no such thing as a non leaking cruiser....but then I believe in bigfoot and nessie. ;)

I had a bad oil leak and ended up replacing my oil pan gasket on my FJ60 three times trying to get it right and ended up just buying a brand new oil pan. Anyway, yes, you can do the whole thing from under the truck--you have to remove the fly-wheel cover though. And if you can't get it off, the trick is to stick your bottle jack in between the frame and the side of the pan and give it some nice side pressure. It usually doesn't want to come right off and if you put too much pressure, you'll push in the side of the pan and need a new one ($200 at Toyota), so you just need to give it some pressure and let it sit for a bit, then a little more pressure. It will eventually just pop off--so be ready!! Also, it's really nice to have a floor jack or an extra set of hands to help keep it from dropping...

-Ferg-

For the "puttin' it back together" part, here's the way I did it. Clean everything and apply weatherstrip adheasive to the gasket where the gasket rides on the pan. Apply the gasket and let the glue set. Clean the bottom of the block, and apply a nice film of silicone sealant. Carefully put the pan in place and replace the bolts. Do not over tighten the gasket, as tighter is not better. Mine turned out nice, as in NO LEAKS!
Other folks may have their own approach to the same installation. Good luck. Oh, wear safety glasses when taking the pan out as sometimes sh*t may be fallin'.

Take the flywheel cover off, from there you should be able to see if its the seal or the pan that is leaking. Did my pan gasket a few weeks ago, Not much to it really. Mine has no leaks, and I used no sealants.

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=4298;start=msg31925#msg31925 date=1060752257]
And if you can't get it off, the trick is to stick your bottle jack in between the frame and the side of the pan and give it some nice side pressure. It usually doesn't want to come right off and if you put too much pressure, you'll push in the side of the pan and need a new one ($200 at Toyota), so you just need to give it some pressure and let it sit for a bit, then a little more pressure.
[/quote]
Put a 2x4 against the pan to spread out the pressure from the bottle jack. You'll save the pan that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom