oil pan drain plug still drips (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I could use some more help with an issue. I have an oil pan drain plug that is dripping. I replaced it with an OEM plug and plug gasket. It still drips. Now I am wondering if there is some kind of gasket surface on the pan that may have wore down or wore off.
Someone recommended Silicone on the threads. Before I go this route I am wondering if there's a better way. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh

seems odd.

so...the first thought is that there's something else going on, like:

Are you sure the drain is leaking or is it migrating from somewhere else?
is your pan dented at all?
is your pan rusted by the skid plate? or just plain rusty?
**speculation* - maybe someone reeeaaallly torqued down the plug at one point in its life. Maybe some slightly buggered up threads. ?? I'm reaching for things now.**

I probably wouldn't put silicone on the threads, maybe some thread tape...

Last edited:
Something else must be leaking.....almost has to be.

Have you cleaned your pan and checked for cracks?

Have you checked your rear seal?

More thoughts..

Fellas,

Thank you for your help. I agree, it has to be something else. No dents in the pan, and no rust. The rear main was replaced not months ago. The pan is in good shape, but the plug... One thing I have wondered about is that this new OEM plug that was sold to me is a considerably bigger size, though it still threads in nicely. This plug may be the problem. Anyone know for sure what size the oil pan drain plug SHOULD be? And maybe I should go from there...

(My cruiser is an 87 and I'm pretty sure there were two different sizes made that year, depending on production month)

Again, I am grateful for your help.

Josh

1.Drain oil
2. Clean Plug (bolt)
3. Put silicon on treads
4. Tighten down plug
5. wait 2-3 hrs
6. Fill with oil
7. No more leaky plug

Dynosoar:zilla::wrench:

Check the threads on the pan side, be sure there is no obvious gouges. That's the problem I had, the threads on the pan (female side) had a big gouge down right through them, silicone on the threads fixed it, but a new insert, or a new pan would be the best fix.

Thanks for not givin' up on me fellas, I will let you know how it turns out!

Josh

What was the resolution ?

I have had the same problem. I replaced all my drain and fill plugs with Allen head plugs from CDan. My front diff and oil pan plugs leak very slightly. The last time I changed the oil, I used teflon tape on the oil pan plug and it helped.

I have ordered new gaskets from CDan. He said there were 2 different sizes- one for the diffs and one for the oil pan, but I don't know which is which. I also don't know where the crush washers go and where the other washers go. Anyone know for sure?

Diff plugs are 19mm and take copper washer.

Oil Pan should be a 14 mm with a fiber washer. Mine was a 19mm, that I assume came from some type of a PO fix.

My oil pan leaked from the drain plug SEE HERE and I let the pan empty completely (a day) then used some Orange RTV on it. No more leak.

EDIT: You can get the fiber washers at Kragen/ O'reilly Fit perfect.

1.Drain oil
2. Clean Plug (bolt)
3. Put silicon on treads
4. Tighten down plug
5. wait 2-3 hrs
6. Fill with oil
7. No more leaky plug

Dynosoar:zilla::wrench:

I agree completely. This is what I do. When you remove it next time you don't even have to re-do the silicon.

Good luck. I had the same problem awhile back. I tried crush washers, fiber washers, and all kinds of rubber washers. Didn't want to have to silicone or rtv it everytime I changed the oil, so, I replaced the pan. PITA for a leaky plug, but I needed a new pan gasket anyway. NO MORE LEAKY!!!:D
BTW. It was deninately the plug, and nothing else. You could watch it. I would wipe everything clean, and w/in 5 minutes it would be dripping fairly steadily.
P.S. DON'T EVER LET ANYONE ELSE CHANGE THE OIL ON YOUR CRUISER!!!!!

Fiber washers were the only ones that kept it from leaking. Really had to tighten it (probably should have torqued it to spec, but sometimes you just don't feeling like getting up to grab another tool).

i'm having this same issue. changed the oil today and now the plug is leaking. i was skeptical as i drained the oil b/c there was a lot of crud built up on the washer and the pan around the plug. i did what seemed to be reasonable and cleaned the drain hole and the washer. guess that crud was helping seal the drain plug b/c there was no leak before and now there is. guess i'll be making another trip to the auto parts store tommorow for fiber washers. any tips on how to get this done w/o losing $50 worth of oil i just bought. i know it's the plug b/c there was no leak before (not at the drain plug anyway) and now there is. tia.

Drain the oil into a clean pan and then pour it back into the engine when you have it all sealed up.

Dynosaor:zilla:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom