oil pan arch seal inspection (am i in the right quadrant)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gents,

reading up on RMS and oil pan arch seals as i clean this rig (and also try to figure out what what connects to what). just greased yokes and yoints. also did my diff fluids. knuckle juice is ecf weekend because i thought i could use a caulking gun like a dope(!).

anyway it’s all still a bit of a mystery as i am sure is quite obvious.

anyway, am i in the right spot for doing an oil pan arch seal inspection? if i am can anyone help me out?

A. now that things are clean what is the best way to know if i need an RMS or oil pan arch seal?

B. what am i looking at here? a “big end“? the flywheel? which also connects up to the starter i guess? or wait, i’m an idiot. this is the differential?! lord, sorry help me here please? i obviously has my head down cleaning today...

C. how does it look? what’s the black stuff?

6B254C67-50C9-47C6-AE7E-2A18FC4484A7.jpeg

1F3D2894-4DC7-4F46-A5F9-C6062B97B090.jpeg

AC7A9E74-4891-4774-A2D8-B2E3719217CB.jpeg

13CD7D07-C52F-4D0A-95BA-D1013E6682CC.jpeg

CE38BD72-138F-43C7-950C-B7912E0D5B3D.jpeg

You are on the right track. The black stuff is FIPG that seals the oil pan. I believe the factor color is grey so that looks like it has been replaced before. Not sure how to tell whether the pan arch or RMS is leaking, maybe someone else knows.

You are on the right track. The black stuff is FIPG that seals the oil pan. I believe the factor color is grey so that looks like it has been replaced before. Not sure how to tell whether the pan arch or RMS is leaking, maybe someone else knows.
what’s the toothed part? i’d get out on the street and take a look again but it is late. and somehow crawling skeins upside down and then looking at the chopped up diagrams in the FSM doesn’t help me much...

The toothed part is the flexplate for the transmission, which the starter spins.

The RMS can't be replaced unless you remove the transmission or engine. The pan arch can be re-sealed by dropping both oil pans, see Oil pan arch seal.

The RMS can't be replaced unless you remove the transmission or engine. The pan arch can be re-sealed by dropping both oil pans, see Oil pan arch seal.
yeah. thanks. i think i was reading that one awhile back. seems like at least half the people that do it say they would have waited until they had to pull the engine if they had to do it again?

Last edited:
That pan has been off at least once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom