Oil Overfulled - Loss of Power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm an idiot... the wagon needed an oil change, the parents were arriving and I was in hurry, I hit up a quick lube and off I went. The wagon ran fine while the folks were here (last weekend), I parked it and drove the commuter for the rest of the week.

I fire it up and it has a rough idle... the idle was very steady before and now it was stumbling. I checked all the fluids first (not sure why) and there was a problem... the engine oil was way overfilled! The guy working at the lube lounge even commented when I was leaving "man that thing sure takes a lot of oil...".

H*LL!

I start removing oil... It took nearly 2qts to get it below the 'max' line.

The idle is steady again but it feels like there is some power loss, seems to bog down around 3rd gear/30mph. Is there something that could have happened in response to the excess oil to cause the power loss or am I crazy?

Never let one of those places work on your cruiser! This happened to me years ago,but those times they put in NO oil. You could have a blown gasket or seal.Do a vaccum test. 2 cents MIke

If you put too much oil in any car engine, the crankshaft will whip it into mayonnaise. The foamed up oil will have trouble passing through the oil pump and the the oil passages in the engine, potentially leading to under-lubrication of critical components.

I hate those quick lube shops, seems like a rip off. Now I change my own oil and use syn oil for the same price as paying them to do it with the cheep stuff. + walmart takes used oil for free.

my owner's manual says to put 8 qts in. Is that what you guys do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom