oil on the spark plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i went for a little drive last night, and all of a sudden the cruiser started missing. so i checked a couple of things... and found oil on one of the spark plugs (lots of it.) it is my understanding that oil ON the plug means a valve guide is leaking. is this correct or could it be a ring?

ohh and you can replace valve seals w/o taking the head off or anything. just need a length of clothesline.

I don't know jack about valve seals, but I know the cloths line trick will come in handy someday, so can you elaborate a bit more please?

[quote author=RHINO link=board=1;threadid=11293;start=msg102377#msg102377 date=1076388822]
ohh and you can replace valve seals w/o taking the head off or anything. just need a length of clothesline.
[/quote]

do you hear that? rev... rev.... it's time for a 350!

i just got through changing a pushrod, new radiator and hoses $300 and cleaning the entire rocker assembly because it wasn't oiling. maby that's why it all of a sudden has oil on the plugs... it's gettin' flippin' oil now!

i'm guessing you feed the line into the cylinder in question and bring the piston up until the line rests aganst the head?

exactly how do you remove the seals without pulling the valve out... i've never done it before.

hey you should swap to a rev,,rev,, 350 cause they never break or leak :D

ok goat and pimpy this ones for you,,,, when you feed the string in the spark plug hole bring the piston up toword TDC, the string will jamb in there holding the vavles up. go about the normal routine taking off the valve cover and junk, then you can simply shove the valve spring down,remove the keeper and slowly release the spring, the valve seal is right there. you wont push the spring down with fingers, there are a few ways to do it but i like to use a length of pipe with a slot cut in it like some styles of valve spring compressors.

Neat trick.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom