oil light on and off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought 94 80 series 122000 Oil light on and off all fluids normal. Oil pressure gauge responds good off idle. My 2f motors stay up, help, please, my wife has that, here we go again look. Truck runs excellent and has burned no oil in first 1000 miles.

not to scare you, and probably not the issue here, but as a point of info for the rest of us, just was told another story by this mechanic buddy: Guy is using Mobil synth in his car. Oil light comes on. He stops (smart!). Checks fluid. All there. Head scratching. OK, nothing wrong he can see. Continues. All fine. Does about 300 miles. Light still on. Brings the car to a shop. Oil pump shaft sheared. Lots of oil but pump not running... (No engine damage apparently, likely cuz of the synth...)
good to remember to pay attention to the little light, eh?
E
(edit: that was probably an oil pressure warning light, not the fancy oil level light, eh...)

Mike,
Asking the obvious question, is the oil level on the full mark?

They are usually set so that the light comes on around 2 qts low but I've seen it come on at 1/2 qt low. The on/off/on tells me the level is not "normal" but if it is, then you probably have a bad level sensor or the wiring to the sensor.

-B-

Thank you for answering. Have moderate ability with engines. Oil pressure would go away, right?

Fluid level is right on the money, oil pressure good (jumps up right off idle ). Oil light came on twice today and went off. Stupid of me to not mention this, sorry!

if yer oil pressure is good, yer pump is probably OK, I would think, so no worries there, mate...
E

My oil light also comes on for about 10 seconds, 2 miles from home. It has happened several times now. I use 10W30 Mobile1 oil and the oil level is 1/4" above the add line. Since I'm changing my oil soon, I didn't add any more oil.

I suspect the oil light came on momentarity due to the oil reaching operating temperature and the opening of the oil cooler. This might cause a sudden drop in oil level causing the light to come on.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom