Oil level sensor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had Toyota tech clean the connections. Light still lit up intermittently.

Happy to report replaced sensor with new —> no more low oil light.
Hmm, I pulled mine. Cleaned it, put it back in and been working fine for a year plus now. Still worth a try versus $375 for a new unit, for those in the same boat, IMHO.

Had Toyota tech clean the connections. Light still lit up intermittently.

Happy to report replaced sensor with new —> no more low oil light.

Good deal! Glad you got it fixed.

Thought I would ask anyone here if they know which color wires go-to each connector in the plug? I accidentally ripped my wires out of the plug...I ordered a new connector with pigtails from Toyota, but they are both black wires. Need to figure out which ones to connect them to. Or does it matter? I tried to look up the diagram in the EWD Manual, but it didn't state color wires from what I could interpret. Haha.

Thought I would ask anyone here if they know which color wires go-to each connector in the plug? I accidentally ripped my wires out of the plug...I ordered a new connector with pigtails from Toyota, but they are both black wires. Need to figure out which ones to connect them to. Or does it matter? I tried to look up the diagram in the EWD Manual, but it didn't state color wires from what I could interpret. Haha.

My guess it makes no difference. I haven't looked at my EWD but I suspect the float on the sensor simply completes the circuit and lights the dash light.

Thanks @flintknapper I was assuming this. Does this help? I need to gain some schematic reading skills!! Haha.

upload_2018-8-7_9-22-56.png

upload_2018-8-7_9-24-1.png

No problem. The schematics look like so much 'Voodoo' to most of us too.

I don't have my EWD in front of me...but it should contain a glossary of symbols, etc....that can be helpful.

Anyway, off the top of my head:

EWD.png

So it looks as if the dash panel is hot (bulb location) and the sensor float (as it drops with the oil level) causes the normally open switch to make contact (creating a circuit to ground)..which completes the circuit to the dash light.

Interesting that the switch has two contacts (an apparent redundancy).

Last edited:
No problem. The schematics look like so much 'Voodoo' to most of us too.

I don't have my EWD in front of me...but it should contain a glossary of symbols, etc....that can be helpful.

Anyway, off the top of my head:

View attachment 1762276

So it looks as if the dash panel is hot (bulb location) and the sensor float (as it drops with the oil level) causes the normally open switch to make contact (creating a circuit to ground)..which completes the circuit to the dash light.

Interesting that the switch has two contacts (an apparent redundancy).

You are awesome and a great help! Thank you!

Hmm, I pulled mine. Cleaned it, put it back in and been working fine for a year plus now. Still worth a try versus $375 for a new unit, for those in the same boat, IMHO.

I'm having the same issue. When you say you cleaned it, what exactly did you use to clean it? Thanks.

There is no such thing as a "factory level indicator". Only dipstick.
Which one, the one in the driver seat or the one in the oil level check tube?

Not to continue the beating of this dead horse. .. but where did we land on needing to drain the oil just to pull the oil level sender? (Not the pressure sender) mine is leaking but would rather not drain the oil if I don’t need to. Thanks.

I simply replaced mine without draining the oil.

Not to continue the beating of this dead horse. .. but where did we land on needing to drain the oil just to pull the oil level sender? (Not the pressure sender) mine is leaking but would rather not drain the oil if I don’t need to. Thanks.
Yeah, no need to drain the oil.

Just make sure to clean all the crud off the outside of the sensor area before you open it up so you don't drop debris into the big open hole.

🔺🔺This good to know as I was waiting for next oil change to swap in my new level sensor.

I recently thought I could move fast enough to replace my TVV without draining the coolant from the block. That didn't work out too well.

🔺🔺This good to know as I was waiting for next oil change to swap in my new level sensor.

I recently thought I could move fast enough to replace my TVV without draining the coolant from the block. That didn't work out too well.
Were you laying underneath it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom