Oil level on dipstick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
When I have had the dealer change the oil and checked the level afterward it has always been at the top dot or slightly less. I changed it myself today precisely measured 7.9 quarts of new oil (changed filter too), ran the engine, and the mark is exactly in the middle of the two dots. I know anything between the dots is fine but curious what people do. On other cars that didn't have an integer number of quarts, I have poured in oil until I got to the top dot.

I add oil until it hits the top mark on the dipstick after I run it a couple miles and let it drain down after a change.

It can take a surprising amount of time to get the oil up to operating temp. Maybe go for a real drive and recheck it. Dealer would be putting oil in to an already fully up to temp engine, which will help warm it much more quickly.

Anywhere between the dots is fine. Don’t sweat it.

It can take a surprising amount of time to get the oil up to operating temp. Maybe go for a real drive and recheck it. Dealer would be putting oil in to an already fully up to temp engine, which will help warm it much more quickly.
That was part of it. Drove around today and checked again. I'd say 3/4 of the way between the dots. It may be that 8qt gets me to the top dot. Just OCD on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom