Oil leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I owne an 80 series 1997 40th anniversary FJZ80, I bought it 2 years ago
I spent double it's price on restoring it to the way I like.
The only frustration is the oil leaks, some of them came back with no time even without pushing the vehicle hard or go 4x4 in it.
All the major things were fixed by experienced mechanics.
It has oil leaking from the front, thought to be oil pump with engine seal ( fixed them when changed the radiator)
Thought to be steering pump ( changed with it's hoses
Thought to be distributor , changed its rubber O ring
Still there is oil and looks heavy
Always covering the front and run on the engine body to the sump
I am sure the distribitor leaking again, I think from inside.
Due to extreeme frustration I ordered brand new Toyota one which cost me a fortune from over seas.
I do not know guys, I run out of ideas how to make it free of leaks
Also, the left front hub leaking again even though it was fully built 6 months ago
Every in and out to the mechanic was more than 1000$ as they big cars and hard to work on
Those are some pictures of my 80
The first 2 were on the day I bought it
Last one was last week

20190706_112828 (1).jpg

20190706_183628.jpg

20190907_125712.jpg

20201109_141940.jpg

20210710_073316.jpg

I owne an 80 series 1997 40th anniversary FJZ80, I bought it 2 years ago
I spent double it's price on restoring it to the way I like.
The only frustration is the oil leaks, some of them came back with no time even without pushing the vehicle hard or go 4x4 in it.
All the major things were fixed by experienced mechanics.
It has oil leaking from the front, thought to be oil pump with engine seal ( fixed them when changed the radiator)
Thought to be distributor , changed its rubber O ring
Always covering the front and run on the engine body to the sump
I am sure the distribitor leaking again, I think from inside.
Due to extreeme frustration I ordered brand new Toyota one which cost me a fortune from over seas.
I do not know guys, I run out of ideas how to make it free of leaks
Also, the left front hub leaking again even though it was fully built 6 months ago
Every in and out to the mechanic was more than 1000$ as they big cars and hard to work on
Those are some pictures of my 80
The first 2 were on the day I bought it
Last one was last week

View attachment 2746475

View attachment 2746476

View attachment 2746477

View attachment 2746480

View attachment 2746483

You likely need to rebuild both the power steering pump and the steering gear with new seals. Gates makes both and they've been working for me for several years.

What kind of oil? You need to figure out *what* is leaking. Engine? Power steering? Transmission cooler?

Thoroughly clean the entire engine compartment. I spent months with a steam cleaner, scrapers, and a pressure washer getting decades of grime off of my engine compartment and chassis. If you can find a local professional steam cleaner, it's well worth paying for.

Once it's clean, you should be able to trace the leaks. Spraying shoe deodorizer containing powder can help make leaks more obvious.

Also, the left front hub leaking again

How? At the knuckle? Grease, or is it gear oil from the differential getting past the axle seal? The Birfield shafts get a groove worn in them by the seal, so the seal needs to be shifted so that is riding on new metal. If it's your knuckle, it may be normal. Post pictures.

Not to be rude but it sounds like you may want to find a new mechanic.

What kind of oil
It is engine oil, I did the same as you , the car was sprayed with some stuff mixed with sand and engine oil
I cleaned all of that.
The oil drops looks like coming from multiple places
The higher drops comes from the botyom of the upper radiator hose but it drops from the dizzy bottom on it
Could it be the cause of all this drama , I am not sure how heavy a distributor can leak specially if the O ring was changed twice this year

20210801_101750.jpg

20210801_101807.jpg

20210801_101918.jpg

find a new mechanic
I think like you mate , the work was done by 3 different mechanics.
First one: changed the dizzy o-ring ,cup and rotor. Installed new steering pump and changed low pressure hoses, rebuild front end and changed brake disks with pads
Second one: changed the radiator to full brass one and all hoses, then done the oil pump seal with main front seal and vacuum hoses
Third mechanic: changed the fan viscous, thermostat,LPG converter and rear brakes disks and pads

On the wheel side your inner shaft seal has blown and the grease is now contaminated with oil. Careful the oil does not work those nuts loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom