Oil Leaks - 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I've been reading up about the oil leaks on the 3FE.

I recently changed my oil from 15w-40 to 5w-30 and noticed it was leaking a lot more, no surprise there since it's a lighter weight oil but I had a case of 5w-30 from costco and all of my other cars take 0w-20. I've read that the oil pan arch on the rear mimics the rear main seal leak so you can tighten down the oil pan bolts and it could potentially stop the leaks.

I've snugged the bolts up and found it leaks a little bit less (it'll probably leak less if I put 15w-40 back in there too, I'm assuming).

I've found that some mentioned that there is also a side gasket that could also leak as well? I'm not sure where this is or where I'd even look to see if it's leaking. Does this side gasket also mimic a rear main seal leak?

Just tired of having cardboard all over my garage and soaking up the leaks, so hoping to solve this one.
Thanks!

V8 swap will fix your leaks

On a serious note a friend and myself both had leaks that were diagnosed as rear mains on our 91's. We both had the oil pan arch gasket done and the oil leaks stopped.

Same here, I bought my 91 with "needs a rear main seal" but it was the pan arch. Pulling the inspection plate on the transmission and looking to see if the flex plate is dry or not is a good indicator.

i have reproduced the 3FE 80 Series main Valve Cover to Air intake metal tube spout fitting using 100% TOYOTA OEM Genuine Parts part # 12262-61030

both 3FE FJ62 and FJ80 3FE use different breather hoses and different PCV valve vent hoses too

the 80 Series and 62 PCV hoses are currently under development using once again 100% TOYOTA Genuine Parts JAPAN FIT Form and Function
:)

3EEA0EC7-2EE1-422F-9A05-68E40C610CC8 (1).jpeg
28EADACA-3102-4100-A491-26D525D49446.jpeg
33B0B01F-92AE-454A-88F5-08923F5442C9.jpeg
62BCACE5-BC5B-4E6A-ACE0-56E55E89083D.jpeg
12565B50-CC53-4E65-A16D-FDF0E3525A68 (1).jpeg

NO MORE Pesky OIL Leaks here ! :cool::beer:

12262-61030  3FE  FJ80 - Copy.jpg

NO more using coolant hoses either ........ :rolleyes:

C59A4A89-D7B5-44F3-9816-5FC1CCE662F4.jpeg

12262-61030.jpg

Tighten the oil pan bolts slightly, switch to 20w-50 diesel oil in hot SoCal climate and ditch the 5w-30 to fix your oil leaks and hella lot cheaper than spending 20k for V8.swap...lol

Hi,

I've been reading up about the oil leaks on the 3FE.

I recently changed my oil from 15w-40 to 5w-30 and noticed it was leaking a lot more, no surprise there since it's a lighter weight oil but I had a case of 5w-30 from costco and all of my other cars take 0w-20. I've read that the oil pan arch on the rear mimics the rear main seal leak so you can tighten down the oil pan bolts and it could potentially stop the leaks.

I've snugged the bolts up and found it leaks a little bit less (it'll probably leak less if I put 15w-40 back in there too, I'm assuming).

I've found that some mentioned that there is also a side gasket that could also leak as well? I'm not sure where this is or where I'd even look to see if it's leaking. Does this side gasket also mimic a rear main seal leak?

Just tired of having cardboard all over my garage and soaking up the leaks, so hoping to solve this one.
Thanks!

5W-30 ?

are you serious ........... 🤔

in a 3FE ........?

5W-30 ?

are you serious ...........
🤔

in a 3FE ........?
Nothing wrong with 5w30 in a 3FE. I ran 10W30 for the last 25 years. It really doesn't care what you put in, as long as it's "motor oil".

Same here, I bought my 91 with "needs a rear main seal" but it was the pan arch. Pulling the inspection plate on the transmission and looking to see if the flex plate is dry or not is a good indicator.

Noob here, where do I find the inspection plate on the transmission?
Good to know that this wouldn't mimic a rear main leak. It's probably just my oil pan gasket then.
On a serious note a friend and myself both had leaks that were diagnosed as rear mains on our 91's. We both had the oil pan arch gasket done and the oil leaks stopped.
When you say oil pan arch gasket, do you mean the entire oil pan gasket? My understanding is that the OEM gasket is a few pieces but glued together as one whole piece.

Nothing wrong with 5w30 in a 3FE. I ran 10W30 for the last 25 years. It really doesn't care what you put in, as long as it's "motor oil".

per the factory owners manual and the FSM ........

with all due respect , you have no idea what your talking about & the bad advice you are saying and you dead nutz wrong 100% :rolleyes:

perhaps study and review my fact based by the book tutorial video # 1

i cover the entire
recommended viscosity topic in great oem paper print media facts and rocket science specifications 🚀

oem print media don't lie my friend

Last edited:
Noob here, where do I find the inspection plate on the transmission?

Good to know that this wouldn't mimic a rear main leak. It's probably just my oil pan gasket then.

When you say oil pan arch gasket, do you mean the entire oil pan gasket? My understanding is that the OEM gasket is a few pieces but glued together as one whole piece.
As old as your rig is, if you really want to fix *all* the oil leaks, you're likely in for several different adventures.

As old as your rig is, if you really want to fix *all* the oil leaks, you're likely in for several different adventures.
true, part of the experience though! I've already learned a lot owning this rig so it's not a big deal for me to get to know all the parts.

The entire oil pan gasket including the arch piece.

Here are 2 separate but equal 3F / 3FE. Oil viscosity charts

It clearly states not to go thinner then 10w40 unless the ambient temperature is constantly below freezing 🥶

5w-30 in ANY F series engine , minus the 1FZ-FE

Is simply somebody choosing extremely poorly ..

1F8FBE43-A7AC-4B1D-8D40-99BB46357CC1.jpeg
A910F92C-35F8-4439-919E-482ABFBE6D5C.jpeg
677E7D67-9E9F-4E2B-889A-2475DC2CE95E.jpeg

Here are 2 separate but equal 3F / 3FE. Oil viscosity charts

It clearly states not to go thinner then 10w40 unless the ambient temperature is constantly below freezing 🥶

5w-30 in ANY F series engine , minus the 1FZ-FE

Is simply somebody choosing extremely poorly ..

View attachment 3066083View attachment 3066085View attachment 3066086

Those books were printed 30ish years ago. Modern synthetic oils have come along way. I know people run that Rotella 5w-30 in all kinds of vehicles that don't call for a 5w-30.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just saying that the modern synthetic oils are pretty amazing and they certainly didn't exist when the 3f and 3fe were designed.

On my old 91 I only used the cheapest non synthetic 10w-40 I could find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom