Oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking into buying an 85 fj60 and the current owner states that it leaks a little oil. It's in Bend and I'm in Spokane so I can't decide if it's worth looking at or if it could be a bigger issue. It's a daily driver and I doubt it's seen much dirt. Any advice or things to look at when I make the trip to look at it?

Land Cruisers and Massey Ferguson tractors are very much alike in utility, durability, torque curve (possibly top speed) and yes, oil leaks. Pan gaskets and rust holes under the skid plate that is spot welded to the bottom on the pan are the usuall suspects. It's a fairly easy fix.

Thanks for the information!

Well it looks like I'm off to Bend to take a look at the 60!! Hopefully it works out cause I bought a one way ticket... I'll keep ya posted!

Did ya get it?

Yep flew into Redmond and hitched a ride to Bend and got dropped off at Deschutes Brewery and sampled all the finest brews until the PO picked me up in it. I had the local Les Schwab shake it all down for me and identified some hopefully minor issues. The Transfer case is leaking it looks like from the seal and the yoke slip needs some attention and it definitely needs new shocks and leaf springs in the future. I think the transmission is leaking from the drain bolt? The shocks aren't leaking, OEM still! I'm thinking about a 3' lift and while I'm at it getting some of the oil leaks fixed.
The only things I noticed when driving it back to Spokane was the temp gauge went to almost hot and at the same time the gas gauge went to full?!? It did it a few times then both dropped back to normal. Also when coming off the freeway or high speeds in neutral it almost died. I'm thinking maybe adjusting the idle? I averaged just about 14mpg @ 60-65mph.
I'll post some pics of the leaks and hopefully all you rad members could help me out!!!
IMG_1992.JPG
GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
IMG_2053.JPG

Mine leaked from the pan gasket, & the pin holes under the oil pan skid, & the side cover & the fuel pump mount & the oil sending unit, & the valve cover...I got a complete gasket set from Toyota. ( only use OEM Toyota gaskets, you'll be glad) & with just a few hours & some degreaser & some cussing, My engine is leak free. Now the power steering box, that's another story. Your new Rig looks sweet.

Cool thanks! You're in Spokane right? Maybe you could take a peek and double check it. I'll buy the beer or soda your choice. The PO replaced the rear main, valve cover gasket, clutch and oil pan gasket in early 08. So im hoping just a few minor repairs before I get out and play, then time to lift it!

I'm in Indiana, if your talkin to me that is. I'd be glad to check it out with you , if I was close. I cleaned the engine best I could & started looking for wet spots (take the sexual overtones out of that statement). Mine was leaking like the Exxon Valdiz, not just a spot here & there.

If you want to pretend that I'm helping, just draw a picture of a stupid looking shmo, place it leaning on the fender of the 60 & say something ignorant on my behalf every now & then.....It'll be just like I'm actually there.

Good luck with the project, take your time, one leak at a time & it'll be done in no time. Lifting them is fun too.

Tonyota lol thanks, guess i mixed ya up with another member. thanks for the advice! my buddy bought a 79 toyota 4x4 and it leaked like a quart of oil an hour so i named it Valdez! haha

Thanks Hank14!! I about crapped myself when I saw the temp gauge spike to hot!!! I immediately pulled off the freeway and popped the hood to let it cool down and drank a beer in the meantime..lol What a relief!!!
IMG_2062.JPG

Thanks! Well the first battle is over...passed emissions!!! FYEAH!! Now all I have to do is fork over some sales tax $ to the man to transfer the title!!

So I just had the transmisson shop take a look at the tcase, knuckles, f+r diffs, slip yokes and the transmission. Looks like the best route to go would to be replacing the rear half of the tcase due to the oil filler bolt leak (they said that a hellicoil might not be big enough to resolve the leak) definetely needs the seal replaced in all of the above mentioned areas. They gave me quote for about $1k to do all the work.

Damn. Rebuild the t-case for $1k? Makes me reflect on how much my truck would cost me if I couldn't do the work myself.

the quote was to do all the work on the tcase, transmission, f+r diffs, knuckles and slip yokes. I don't have a shop to work in, adequate tools and none of my buddies will even touch the tcase or transmission. It doesn't help being a noob mechanic either. LOL

I didn't realize the quote was for so much! Rebuilding the front axle at the dealer with all the parts costs far more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom