Oil leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nor_cal_cyclist

GOLD Star
Threads
Went out to get my truck to haul my pup to the Vet and found a small puddle of "vital fluids" under it. More on the passenger side than drivers, but looks like it pooled on the engine skid plate and dripped onto the ground once sitting in the garage last night. Haven't got the plate pulled yet, but wondering what the heck to even look at on a 2019 with under 9k miles. Toyota set an appt for after Thanksgiving and warned me anything major will takes weeks to months due to supply chain issues. Not feeling so smart about selling my 2014 Raptor last summer, with 2 big dogs and my other "truck" (FJ40) still a long way from being done with it's resto-mod. Time to shop for something.....

jpu1FkjGSsqYx5Z3NfEI%Q.jpg
slPXyXQGQFqtatC+xsYoBQ.jpg

Went out to get my truck to haul my pup to the Vet and found a small puddle of "vital fluids" under it. More on the passenger side than drivers, but looks like it pooled on the engine skid plate and dripped onto the ground once sitting in the garage last night. Haven't got the plate pulled yet, but wondering what the heck to even look at on a 2019 with under 9k miles. Toyota set an appt for after Thanksgiving and warned me anything major will takes weeks to months due to supply chain issues. Not feeling so smart about selling my 2014 Raptor last summer, with 2 big dogs and my other "truck" (FJ40) still a long way from being done with it's resto-mod. Time to shop for something.....

View attachment 2840751View attachment 2840753
Silly question...
Did you have your oil changed recently?

Silly question...
Did you have your oil changed recently?
No - been about 8 months or so. Pretty low mileage vehicle that I've owned since new. Took a road trip last week, and was fine. No signs of leaking oil as of yesterday afternoon...but might not have enough to spill over the skid plate...

No - been about 8 months or so. Pretty low mileage vehicle that I've owned since new. Took a road trip last week, and was fine. No signs of leaking oil as of yesterday afternoon...but might not have enough to spill over the skid plate...
Damn man. hate to hear about your issue on a vehicle so new.
Hopefully it is just the seal at the filter or plug.

Trans fluid is red, it's not that.
Coolant pink, not that.
PS fluid is clear/yellow, but I wouldn't expect it to be so dark on such a new vehicle.
KDSS.. Driver side only.

Seems like it could be motor oil.. keep an eye on that pressure gauge. You had a significant build.. any extra oil coolers or anything?
Front diff maybe.. does the fluid smell of sulphur? Gear oil has a distinct odor.
Possibly a shock reservoir line, though those don't hold a lot of fluid.

Before you pull the skids get under there and look in the side gap with a flashlight. It might be obvious.

Thanks for the suggestions....will check tomorrow. My life feels like a bad Country&Western song: dog is sick, truck is broke, and my pressure tank on my hot water heater sprung a leak damaging LOTS of stuff in the basement. Time for a pour of bourbon...

I know the feeling, hang in their bud. Pour that boubin with a heavy hand. It will all work out.

Sounds like you havent had the chance pulled the skids yet, but How does the oil level look on the dipstick? If thats an oil leak on your 2019 that's a serious leak to reach and pool on the ground especially for such low miles.

Last edited:
I hope you can get your skid plates off. I went to pull mine off over the weekend and they were installed without anti seize, thanks ed martin, and they aren't coming off without cutting the bolts.
I have Bud Built skids that were installed by @TRAIL TAILOR, so that shouldn't be an issue...Jason doesn't do things half-assed.

I know the feeling, hang in their bud. Pour that boubin with a heavy hand. It will all work out.

Sounds like you havent had the chance pulled the skids yet, but How does the oil level look on the dipstick? If thats an oil leak on your 2019 that's a serious leak to reach and pool on the ground especially for such low miles.

Dip stick looked pretty low - like right at the bottom of the normal range. Also looked MUCH dirtier than I'd expect for only 3k miles since my last oil change. Still dealing with my pup and water heater/water damage (Momma isn't happy without hot water in the house) - since the truck isn't going anywhere, I'll get to it later today or tomorrow and will post updates.

There are some spots on the floor to the right in the photo that may have been from a previous event? Anyway, oil on the floor and a low dipstick reading mean something. I hope the something is quick and easy to fix.

Oil will darken quickly on a new engine that is still being broken in.. wouldn’t bother me at all.

My first thought it cross-threaded drain plug. Following to see what the result is

All drips shown in the photo above are from the current leak. Got lucky today...came back in the house after messing around trying to get a picture, and my wife asked what smelled so bad. I haven't fully regained my sense of smell after getting COVID, and hadn't noticed it, but the plumber that was over repairing the hot water heater confirmed it - gear oil with a slight "burnt" odor. Based on the problem I had on my rear diff, I'm going to assume this is another example of the total lack oversight and quality of workmanship on the initial build of my Cruiser. :mad:
:bang:

Sulfury is the way I'd describe gear oil. Not sure if that is correct though.

Bummer! Who did the initial installs?

did you touch it an feel if its oil (thick) or watery? any smell?
differential fluids smell super strong and you cant miss it.

If its watery it could be from you ac condensate drain line which you dont need to worry.

I doubt if its engine oil, engine oil is not greyish with that mileage and new car. You will find it redish, greenish, yellowish with darker shade if its older.

Steering fluid can also be a suspect as its more to passenger side of the vehicle.

Bummer! Who did the initial installs?

Check my post history (other than all the "What Bourbon are you drinking?" ones :rofl:)....easy to figure out.

did you touch it an feel if its oil (thick) or watery? any smell?
differential fluids smell super strong and you cant miss it.

If its watery it could be from you ac condensate drain line which you dont need to worry.

I doubt if its engine oil, engine oil is not greyish with that mileage and new car. You will find it redish, greenish, yellowish with darker shade if its older.

Steering fluid can also be a suspect as its more to passenger side of the vehicle.
Thanks - it is an oil/lubricant, and if my wife's sense of smell is working (mine still isn't after my bout with COVID), it's gear oil. Original build included a re-gear and ARB's F&R. My rear was leaking about 3500 miles ago, and was due to crappy install. @TRAIL TAILOR to the rescue, once again...will get to the source on Monday, once it's on the lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom