1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Leak??

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Brentbba, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

I'm getting 1-2 drops a day on the garage floor, now covered with cardboard. Had the LC up on the ramps this past weekend to see if a 1/2 banana guy like me could tell where it was coming from. My first thought it that it's all residual grease/gunk being eaten away from a less than good clean-up from the brake fluid leak a few months back. As this board said, it would eat up just about anything.

There is no leak from either the oil filter or drain plug. The spots are a very black, thick liquid, not light brown like newer engine oil would be. It's not red like transmission fluid. I've never burned oil and trans fluid is still a pretty red color like it should be. Brake fluid reservoir is holding at the same level also.

Seems to be from the very center of the engine along the drivetrain, but since I'm NO mechanice by any definition, I don't know where any of the seals, etc. really are except where I see things bolted together.

Any thoughts or pics that may help me? I wiped everything fairly? clean so will get it up on ramps again this weekend to see what has appeared. Last thing I need right now is a big $$$$ repair bill.

TIA

2. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Speedometer cable o-ring??
    Just a thought :-\

3. Beowulf

Beowulf

If Eduardo is correct that would be a 1/2 banana job. There are some recent pics of a before and after leaky O-ring. Study the pics then slide under yours to see if that's it.
    -B-

4. Brentbba

Found the thread and the pic's - Thanks for documenting your work so well Nakman. Will take a look this weekend.

5. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Brent,
    Don't forget to remove the golf clubs from your shoulder before you climb underneath! :D

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    SLAM!

If it was up on a Tee, it would be easy :rolleyes:

Can you identify any odor?

7. Brentbba

Dan,

I presume you mean any odor in what's leaked? Will check tonight. Two very small drops and one good size one.

Golf lessons needed at this point - must need new clubs, it's never, never the golfer. :flipoff2:

8. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Brent,

Better info on the precise location would be helpful. You said it's on the centerline along the drivetrain. How about a fore and aft location (about 6" behind the front door's front edge, etc)? Thanks.

Doug

9. Brentbba

Dan, no odor at all.

Idaho - from memory, just behind the front wheel a little.

10. Rookie2

Rookie2

I assume we're not talking about the much documents rear main/retainer arch. leak, right? I.e. about 4" aft of the rear edge of the lower oil pan, where the transmission bolts to the motor?

11. Brentbba

It's a very distinct possibility. That's the general location from what I can tell. If that's it, what are we talking repair $$ wise?

12. Rookie2

Rookie2

Brentbba,

You may want to try a search using "retainer" and "rear main seal", or combinations thereof. The previous posts should give you some pretty good insite regarding the nature of this leak, and where to look. It's been talked about a fare amount lately, and is not an uncommon leak. The upper oil pan/retainer arch leak is supposedly the more common of the two.

Cost, I've seen anywhere between $500 to a grand on the rear main seal.

I'm not sure about cost for an upper oil pan/retainer arch seal. For the DYI'er its about $25 in parts, and a full weekend in labor. I just tackled this one a couple of weekends ago. I'm a pretty new wrench, but would call this a big job, unless you've done it before and know the tricks. IMHO, too much work for a one or two drop a day leak. Besides looks like mine turned out to be the rear main cause it still leaks :doh:. She's just going to have to leak for a while.

Good luck,
    R2

13. Brentbba

Ok - bringing this back up. Got underneath finally this weekend. Looks like most of the 'oil' seems to be coming from and is hanging on things right behind the front differential. This help any in potential diagnosis? Just another friendly reminder gang - I AM NOT a mechanice by any stretch of the imagination (yea, yea Cdan - I know :D)

14. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

well, can you see if there is oil coming down from front main seal area, where all the belts and pulleys are?
    E

15. Brentbba

Hmmm, like I know where that is. I'll take a look tonight. This is really bugging me.

16. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Brent,
    It's the one that all the belts share, it is the one that drives them

17. Beowulf

Beowulf

Brent,
    Status?
    -B-

18. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

-B-
    He probably decided to go hit some balls instead :D

19. Brentbba

Haven't had another chance to look at this new suggestion. Should have time this weekend. Part of me still thinks it may just be residual gunk from the brake fluid leak that I didn't get cleaned up as fast as I should have, if you remember that little fiasco B.

I'll post after I stick my head under the hood and engine again. Thanks for asking.

20. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Take your time Brent, it's not like it's a vital fluid or anything.