Oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm new to the 80 series land cruisers. I just looked at a 97 that has a pretty significant oil leak. What are the common problems. Also would I have to pull the engine for any of these jobs? Thanks

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 80! Check out this thread below.

Last edited:
You’ll have to at least give us an idea of the leak location and expand on what you consider as “significant”.

There are three typical things: leaking distributor o-ring, leaking front engine seal or the oil pump cover. It may be any or all of them. There is also a YouTube video showing a how-to.

Not sure about a shop. I have always done my own work. There is a kit that will get you all the parts. You will need a big torque wrench though.

Hey guys, I'm new to the 80 series land cruisers. I just looked at a 97 that has a pretty significant oil leak. What are the common problems. Also would I have to pull the engine for any of these jobs? Thanks

With the exception of a rear main seal or upper oil pan, no lifting/removal of the engine/trans is necessary.

Common leaks in no particular order:

Valve Cover Gasket
Front Main Seal
Oil Pump Cover Seal
Oil Level Sensor Seal
Distributor O-Ring (external one)
Upper Oil Pan (arch)
Rear Main Seal

Front main, Oil Pump Cover and Dizzy O-ring being the most common. Valve cover leaks are common but not normally a 'gusher'.

In Michigan, I would take a rust-free Cruiser that leaks a quart a day over a rusty one that is leak-free. Can you post a picture of the leak?

In Michigan, I would take a rust-free Cruiser that leaks a quart a day over a rusty one that is leak-free. Can you post a picture of the leak?
Ya I just bought it, it it's triple locked and has a very nice frame.

IMG_20201202_123150163.jpg

IMG_20201202_123128659.jpg

IMG_20201202_123134687.jpg

Image_1606931873.jpg

Nice - a built-in rust prevention system!

It looks like maybe the back of the valve cover is leaking and the oil pump seal? Probably want to wash it all off to get a better idea.

Nice rig.

Front main and oil pump seal for sure. Maybe others

It looks like maybe the back of the valve cover is leaking and the oil pump seal? Probably want to wash it all off to get a better idea.
Yes exactly😂 besides its dripping on my driveway so I have to park her on the r

Yea thats what I was thinking! But I have to park on the road so it doesn't drip on my driveway until I get the leak fixed this weekend

Nice rig.

Front main and oil pump seal for sure. Maybe others
It's not the rear main correct? I know that is a big job so I'm hoping it's not that.

I I recently did both the front mail seal (crankshaft seal) and the oil pump seal. I would highly recommend getting the parts from Wit's End. Replacing the screws with the hex-head stainless screws is a necessity (included in his oil pump seal kit). He also includes a PVC cap to tap the crankshaft seal in with. Also, bear in mind you have to tighten to 304 ft/lbs to reassemble, so make sure you have a big ass torque wrench.

It's not the rear main correct? I know that is a big job so I'm hoping it's not that.

From your pics it looks like the oil is blowing back and that most of your leaks originate from the front of the engine. The rear main would be a big job (engine or trans have to come out or be separated to reach it) but they usually don't leak as much.

The oil pump cover 'can' leak copious amounts once it starts. The seal there gets extremely hard and brittle that area will leak a lot. Front main seal is easy to replace once you've got the balancer off. It needs to be torqued back to 304 ft. lbs (and NOT less) because it keeps a gear captured that drives your oil pump and Power Steering pump.

As suggested above, a good cleaning and then a short drive will give you a better idea of where the leaks are, but your front main and oil pump cover are leaking for sure.

Check your oil level sensor seal also since it often gets overlooked and will leave oil towards the back of the engine. A leaking valve cover can leave oil anyplace but also is an item that lets oil leak down at the rear of the engine. A rear main leak can be determined by pulling the inspection plate for your flexplate, you might also see a small amount of transmission fluid mixed with it.

From your pics it looks like the oil is blowing back and that most of your leaks originate from the front of the engine. The rear main would be a big job (engine or trans have to come out or be separated to reach it) but they usually don't leak as much.

The oil pump cover 'can' leak copious amounts once it starts. The seal there gets extremely hard and brittle that area will leak a lot. Front main seal is easy to replace once you've got the balancer off. It needs to be torqued back to 304 ft. lbs (and NOT less) because it keeps a gear captured that drives your oil pump and Power Steering pump.

As suggested above, a good cleaning and then a short drive will give you a better idea of where the leaks are, but your front main and oil pump cover are leaking for sure.

Check your oil level sensor seal also since it often gets overlooked and will leave oil towards the back of the engine. A leaking valve cover can leave oil anyplace but also is an item that lets oil leak down at the rear of the engine. A rear main leak can be determined by pulling the inspection plate for your flexplate, you might also see a small amount of transmission fluid mixed with it.
Dang thanks for the through response, I'm 16 so I am thankful for the response. I think I have a pretty good Idea of what I'm working with. I also have an 02 sport edition 4runner that I have done all the maintenance on. Is there any site to get a replacement leather seat replacements for the driver bottom section?

Dang thanks for the through response, I'm 16 so I am thankful for the response. I think I have a pretty good Idea of what I'm working with. I also have an 02 sport edition 4runner that I have done all the maintenance on. Is there any site to get a replacement leather seat replacements for the driver bottom section?

There are a couple vendors here that offer new seat leathers. I haven't seen one that just sells the bottom portion though but you could probably reach out. Do a search for seat covers or seat replacement and some should come up. Depending on how worn your seats are you may have to replace the foams too or the new leathers won't fit right.

As for the torque wrench if you can't find one to rent/borrow I picked up one on Amazon for not too terrible of a price. Even with the wrench still far cheaper than having a shop do the work to change the crank seal and oil pump seal. Also on the oil pump seal make sure you get the #3 JIS bits to get the factory screws out. A regular number 3 phillips will just strip them out.

AmazonSmile: Precision Instruments PREC4D600F Wrench (3/4" Dr. Split Beam Torque w/Detachable Head (200-600 Ft/Lbs)): Automotive

Almost forgot. The power steering pump tends to leak too. Focus on the color of the oil leak and ensure you don’t see a hint of red. If so, think about a steering pump seal kit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom