1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Leak Up Front

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by tenncrusher, Feb 23, 2004.

1. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

I am sure this topic has been discussed and I think I know the answer, but I am noticing a little oil dripping from the front of motor, down to front skid and dripping back onto the axle, etc. Without removing the skid, my guess is that my front seal on crank is gone. Could it be anything else? It appeared after a 250 mile interstate run fully loaded at about 80mph. Rear main does not leak. Is there anything else that typically leaks up front. And, what kind of job is it to repair? BANANAS???Also, what would be a reasonable shop rate for repair?

1996 FZJ with 144k

2. clownmidget

clownmidget SILVER Star

Tenn, I know I dealt with this just before New Years and C-Dan was just finishing his ordeal so I imagine a quick search for his screen name or mine and "oil leak" will do it. Mine was the main crank pulley seal, oil pan #1 & #2, and the oil pump cover seal, etc. 12 hours from the Toy dealership computer plus parts so it wasn't cheap but after consulting with Dan on his experience I gladly took it in. Even got a loaner from the dealership while they did it. Not for the timid, in terms of :banana:s. Pulling the radiator, all the associated doo-dads, loosening and then re-torquing the crankshaft bolts, etc. are the least of your worries compared to the oil pans :mad:

Good luck
    Mike R

3. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

It is small at this point. I am inclined to monitor the situation before I drop the big bucks. I am talking about drips at this point and only after sustained driving for some distance on the interstate. I seem to recall Dan's situation. That was some type of plug, right?

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Correct, an oil galley plug to be exact.

If you lost that you would have A $HITLOAD OF OIL ALL OVER THE PLACE. :whoops: A minor leak up front would be the crank seal or front pan arch or maybe the oil pump cover.

Busting the crank pulley bolt loose is an adventure as is removing the oil pans.

5. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

It aint a problem until I am embarrassed by dripping oil in the driveways of friends.

6. Pitbull

Pitbull

I would clean it up and find out what is leaking?

7. robbie

robbie Guest

Another place that leaks occur in the 95-97 trucks is the crank position sensor seal. We have done a few of these. Toyota does not sell the special little seal alone. It is like a O ring but with a flap of rubber outside the O ring to seall better than a O ring. So to correct the problem you will have to shell out about 105 dollars. we tried everything except JB welb to fix it with no success. it is easy to access and only requires a couple of sips of your favorite beverage to change out. later robbie

8. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

I have a 96 Cruiser with 124K on it and I have the exact oil leak that Robbie discribed.......... crankshaft position sensor seal. Christo Slee said he has had a couple of this sensors leak on his trucks and has used everything imaginable to try and seal it, with no luck (probably the same ones Robbie made reference to). He had to change the sensor to fix it. Take the engine under cover off and use some brake cleaner to clean everything off real good. Then drive a few day with the under cover off, checking daily for the exact location of the leak. I changed the front crankshaft oil seal thinking that was the problem, just to discover the sensor leak.

Wayne S :cheers:

9. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Take off the skid plate and have a look. You have transmission oil lines going to the cooler on the radiator. Power steering hoses running from the pump to the steering gear. Also when changing the engine oil filter, oil can leak down into areas above the axle and slowly drip down. My possibly be the axle breather puking out some oil as a result of foaming from contaminated fluid.

10. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

Thanks for the tips. I had not thought about the axle breathers. I will check it out. However, it looked like reg oil, not diff fluid. Guess I need to pull the "skid" and clean it up.