Oil leak under high RPM's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a little help. This year I had my Farey Overdrive removed and an SM465 transmission installed. Since then I've developed a problem when running long distances at highway speeds. Initially I traveled 3hrs at between 2500-3000rpms. When I stopped I noticed oil dripping from several spots. Lifting the hood I saw oil had splattered all over the engine compartment, at least on the passenger side of the engine. With oil everywhere it's hard to tell where it came from. Most fresh oil around side cover/distributor/dip stick (was seated firmly) . I proceded to change my PCV valve, gently tighten my side cover bolts, replace the oil pan and gasket. Weird part is there is no problem when driving around town or even on short highway stints. This is my daily driver. Then again this weekend, about a 2hr trip at between 2500-3000 rpms, I get the splattering and drips. Now stopped again. This makes me nervous to take longer road trips. Oh, original F engine.

So WHERE IS IT COMING FROM!

Any suggestions are appreciated.
I'll try attaching a couple pictures I just took. It has stopped dripping. There is a lot of old dirt and oil on top of engine (it's 33 years old) but fresh stuff is down around distributor.

thanks

troy

I have been told it could be a side cover gasket or the fuel pump (where it mates to the block).
I have the same problem.

Is the dipstick tube loose? My truck leaked like that from the base of the oil filler tube (which you don't have) as well as the dipstick tube when I got it, because they had loosened.

You are just going to have to clean everything up and see where it's coming from. Foamy engine brite, lots of quarters and a change of clothes are all you need. Drive it a little while and check it often to investigate way before the point of it spattering all over the place. Park it on a pick piece of clean cardbord, like from a fridge or something. The location, color, smell and yes, even taste will give you a good starting point at where to look.

Like a Harley, these things aren't leaking. They're just marking their spot.

Pull the air cleaner and see if there's oil coming through the breather/check breather is not blocked. Had a similar problem on my F when the rings were all broken :( So much blowby at high revs that air/oil came out of every possible orifice :)

Also, you have checked you havn't overfilled it?

Thanks for the suggestions.
didn't know if there was something where the distributor connects to the engine. Gasket there? That and the side cover seem nearest to the epicenter but I will check the dip stick throat to see if it's loose. Engine is starting to show signs trouble with blowing smoke out the exhaust when driving down very steep grades. I'll check the Air cleaner idea. And the oil level is ok. a little low now maybe ;)

thanks again.

dgangle said:
You are just going to have to clean everything up and see where it's coming from. Foamy engine brite, lots of quarters and a change of clothes are all you need. Drive it a little while and check it often to investigate way before the point of it spattering all over the place. Park it on a pick piece of clean cardbord, like from a fridge or something. The location, color, smell and yes, even taste will give you a good starting point at where to look.

Like a Harley, these things aren't leaking. They're just marking their spot.

i agree and it worked for me, make sure theres no new oil leaks, pull the ebrake and then have someone rev it up for you while you watch and see where its spiting out from. i had thought it was leaking from the oil pressure sending unit, turned out to be the manifold was leaking. :cheers:

Troy

I had that leak myself.
I am pretty sure it's the side cover gasket.

One suggestion is to get 8 M6 studs and install those (you can get them from lowes). Helps to hold the side cover gasket in place while you put on the side cover.

But otherwise, it sounds like it's time to have Kurt stuff a built 2F in there. :D

HTH

had this problem once and it was a poorly seating oil filter. Check for tightness or a gasket still on from the previous filter (2 gaskets)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom