Oil leak troubleshooting guide - start to finish?

Hey folks! I have an oil leak, pretty bad, and want to get down and dirty to figure it out. When I search the threads on "oil leak", I see a ton of different culprits. Is there a good troubleshooting guide or sequence of investigation? Photos to go with it? I'm at a pretty dirty starting point; the underside from the starter area back is pretty caked in oil. This weekend I was planning on degreasing and powerwashing, and then starting the troubleshooting. Any help would be appreciated!

88 FJ62

DrRock

SILVER Star
Your thought on degreasing and power washing is a good start. Chasing oil leaks is a pastime of mine based on the cars I’ve owned. starting with a clean engine is the only way to begin to understand where the leak is coming from. Once you have a clean engine, you can isolate the drip better.

cheers, James

OSS

SILVER Star
At this point with a 30+ year old vehicle, every gasket and oil seal needs to be replaced. It's up to you, your energy and budget which ones you want to tackle.

John Staton

SILVER Star
I had many leaks when I got mine a few years ago. Upgrading to a 5 speed knocks out two of the leading candidates...the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket. I also had one at the cooler, which was just a hose. After pulling the radiator and having it gone through I can say I dont have one drop of any fluid (except water from the AC, which works now) under my truck and have not for a while now. It is a very good feeling to finally get there.

OSS

SILVER Star
Before I restored my old cruiser, it was leaking oil everywhere because I had been using synthetic motor oil for 25 years.
When I switched to a "high mileage" motor oil (Mobil 10W-40 High Milesge) the leaks almost completely stopped. So "high mileage" motor oils do condition the seals (swelling them up) to prevent or slow down the leaks.

lcolon

SILVER Star
Agree with everything above - all the major gaskets probably need replacing - oil pan, timing cover, side cover, oil cooler, valve cover. Once you get it cleaned up, you could start with replacing those that are easily accessible. If you have a rear main seal or transfer case leak, that is more involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom