Oil leak - power steering pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,
Do the pictures look like a power steering leak? (I really dont notice a lot of fluid loss and seems to work fine)
If so, would this mean pump replacement? If so, any recommendations where to have it rebuilt?
thanks,
Scott

one.jpg
two.jpg

No way to tell from that pic. You need to clean the area and check it after a short drive to see if you can see where its coming from.

I don't see any ATF anywhere. Are you sure this isn't oil?

Not sure, since the pump was all oily just assumed it was that, I will clean and have a closer look, thanks.
Scott

If it's power steering fluid, it'll be red. Oil isn't.

Check that oil isn't leaking past the dizzy o-ring, and dripping down to the ps pump.
If all good there, check that oil isn't leaking thru the dizzy. This is a shaft o-ring that isn't readily available (someone on here measured and found a replacement, but it's not worth the effort imo). If oil is coming thru the dizzy, it's not hugely important to function, but you'll always have that leak. Only fix is replace the dizzy. I went aftermarket (~$150 for mine iirc) and no issues since. One of the few non-OEM parts I've gambled on and it's worked out.
If it's not the dizzy and turns out to be the ps pump in some way - highly recommend just buying new. Rebuild the pump is not worth the effort either, imo. And I say this as one who attempted it.

Hi folks,
Do the pictures look like a power steering leak? (I really dont notice a lot of fluid loss and seems to work fine)
If you're sure there's a loss of PS fluid then it's leaking somewhere. Use a flashlight or your finger to check the fluid at back of pump. If red in color it's leaking. They can work fine for quite some time with a minor leak.
There are pump rebuild kits available online but you probably wouldn't be saving much money going that route if paying someone else to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom