Oil leak, possibly from oil gasket??? Pics to diagnose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Ok, I need some input on where my oil leak is coming from. To start, I changed my oil almost 2 weeks ago on my 97 FZJ80. The vehicle has almost 115K on it. The next weekend, I went camping- towed the camper. I noticed oil through the wheel well while it was parked. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there was a decent amount on the underside. I immediately checked the filter; it had some drops seeping from it. I wiped it dry.

I came home and it was the same scene, except no oil from the filter. I noticed that it seemed to be everywhere. I was a little sloppy from the OC, so it may look worse than what it is. My dipstick still shows minimal loss. Tonight, I had time to get underneath it and clean it up. I also took some pics of it. I noticed while underneath that the oil pan 2 gasket, (I think it's called the FIPG from looking at other threads), seems to be pushed out on the front left corner, (see pic). The oil cooler area in front of it shows recent oil has "cleaned" up the old gunk from the undercarriage. Could the gasket have been forced out due to pressure and spray oil out to this oil cooler area, and up to the area underneath the belts when I drive it? Would it have enough force to do that?

As I have said before in other threads, I am not a mechanic, would undertake some 1/2 :banana: jobs. I have some pics to help out, for better diagnosing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

The FIPG was probably put on a little thick and just squished out during installation wile it was still "wet", as long as it was applied to a clean surface after curing that stuff is quite stout and would be difficult to "push out".

The oil on the left side of the block where the Crank sensor wiring comes out of its raceway is most likely spills from changing the oil filter, unless you take extra measures oil will run down the side of the block and make a mess.

The oil near the front is more interesting, you may have a front main leak or it may be coming from above

Only way to tell with small leaks is to clean the area and watch over the next few days and see where it shows up at first, you will probably have to repeat this process a few times to pinpoint it.

Gunk engine degreaser and an old toothbrush work well for breaking up the road grime and oil, rinse off with a hose (cold engine only)

Raven-
thanks for the info. I will examine and clean more if need be and let you know what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom