Oil leak partially stopped but what is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1970 FJ40

OK, so I changed the side engine seal (pushrod cover gasket) on my FJ40 yesterday and now I have no more leaks from there. I thought that was the only spot but apparently not. When I drove it last night oil pooled in only one small area, around these two big bolts and the base of the dipstick. They are directly below the distributor. What are those bolts? Whay are they there? Why would they leak? Could the oil have just run over to the dipstick and it appears like it's leaking there also? How do I remedy this?

Trust me, the oil was wet and obvious last night in only that area but my nighttime picture did not come out right.

Oh, and by the way, some people said to use 35 inch/lbs on the side engine bolts, others use 85 inch/lbs. I kind of split the difference and went with 50 inch/lbs and no issues.

Possible Leak.jpg

If that is the case, how do I stop them from leaking? Can I take out one at a time to keep the oil pump from moving?

If that is the case, how do I stop them from leaking? Can I take out one at a time to keep the oil pump from moving?
are they snug now? i believe you can remove them, one at a time. Maybe try some thread sealant on them?

They are tight, but leaking. I will try thread sealant. I have never seen oil pump bolts on the outside. Are we sure that's what those are? I thought oil pump bolts would be on the bottom of the engine block, but inside. Maybe needing to remove oil pan to get to them

are you sure they are leaking oil? there is no oil preasure behind them. those 2 bolts hold the oil pump to the block.

double check the dipstick tube, but again that is above the oil level and should be no preasure inside the block

other spot to check would be where the fuel pump bolts to the block.

Wild guess, the rubber seal in the bottom of your fuel pump is shot, at speed it will spray oil out the weephole on that side. Or dist is aftermarket and no oring

are you sure they are leaking oil? there is no oil preasure behind them. those 2 bolts hold the oil pump to the block.

double check the dipstick tube, but again that is above the oil level and should be no preasure inside the block

other spot to check would be where the fuel pump bolts to the block.

Blowby past the rings and plugged PCV with cause pressure in the sump.

Wild guess, the rubber seal in the bottom of your fuel pump is shot, at speed it will spray oil out the weephole on that side. Or dist is aftermarket and no oring

I have a new fuel pump I can put on, so no big deal there. However, I've never heard of a fuel pump leaking oil, but I guess it would have to spray directly on those two bolts and to the left side of dipstick because the right side was free of oil. Sounds odd but I don't know enough about this. The distibutor is an aftermarket billet distributor so I can't remember if there was on O-Ring

Blowby past the rings and plugged PCV with cause pressure in the sump.

Well, the PCV is brand new, so that won't be part of the issue. But, what rings are you referring to that oil could blow past?

Is there oil residue along the dipstick tube, not just at the base?

Well, the PCV is brand new, so that won't be part of the issue. But, what rings are you referring to that oil could blow past?

The rings around the pistons. It's normal for a little blowby during combustion. Excessive wear and a lot more will slip by down into the oil pan. The whole purpose of the PCV system is to push the blowby gases out of the oil pan and into the intake manifold to be burned. The vent line from the air cleaner to the valve cover to help with the flow by providing filtered air to the top of the engine.

I just mention the fuel pump cause I chased a leak like that for 6 months. Was only at speed and the fan blew it back so it was never on the bottom of the fuel pump. There is a small rubber baffle that splits and you would never know until you take the pump apart. Back in the day there used to be fuel pump rebuild kits at the dealer. Kinda aging myself with that reference

Clean it up nicely, drive and check frequently.

You will find it.

Clean it up nicely, drive and check frequently.

You will find it.

I'll add to that,

Shoot some baby powder around where you think the leak may be coming from.

It will walk you right to the source.

Back in the day there used to be fuel pump rebuild kits at the dealer. Kinda aging myself with that reference

Miss those days myself. Besides the fuel pump and obvious the carburetor and cylinder that had brake fluid there was a cheap OEM rebuild kit. Add in how complete the old tool kits and engine crank rod these were really made to get you back. Remember when I bought used 68 FJ40 needed a few kits right away. Seems a the kits I bought were less than $10 and probably closer to $5-$6 range. Seems funny looking back now but as a young guy just starting out that seemed like more money than it does today. Even when gas was in twenty-five to thirty-five cent range still didn't fill the tank. Guess today I would just go stand on the corner with a sign saying I need gas money.

Actually, not that it really matters a lot, but...

I believe those two bolts hold the bottom of a distributor support assembly to the block. The end of the distributor drive tab is a little lower than those bolts.

The oil pump bolts to that assembly with a single vertical bolt that is only accessible with the oil pan off.

Per the Haynes manual, anyway.

And I agree, there is no oil pressure behind those bolts, but I’ll bet there is a good bit of oil splashing around back there....

Rocky

C746C9C3-EA3A-48FA-9C00-4D7A8553D433.jpeg
C8071041-02E2-492D-98DB-9D2E7648E417.jpeg

OK, much clearer. I think there is a dye that I can put in the oil that will trace the leak so I can find it. It's pink I think or some fluorescent color maybe. Maybe it will tell me where it's coming from. In the mean time, I guess I will try and put a thread sealer on those bolts for a test

You dont have to buy anything special to find the leak. Just get some brake clean or the solvent of your choice and clean those areas thoughly. The drive it and check periodically to see where oil is seeping. Oil gets blown back by the fan and wind when driving forward. Usually its the most forward item showing oil, but there could be multiple items leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom