Oil leak or driveshaft grease? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 10k miles ago, I had a Lexus tech pump grease into the driveshaft as I had some clunking - helped a little but besides the point.

Maybe a stupid question, but I haven't had a chance to really inspect further and it's going to be a little before I can...

When I first saw this from a different angle I immediately thought rear main seal, but the way the fluid or grease is also on the u-joint in the exact same position has me wondering - was the driveshaft over-greased and this is just residual that's been flung around? If it was the rear main, how could it get on the u-joint? It looks like there is a little on the cat as well, but obviously not nearly as much as the oil pan. It's hard to tell based on the color as I'm sure there's some GA clay mixed in with whatever it is.

Thanks!

1664652193364.png

could be a combo of grease near the driveshaft and oil leakage from trans or transfer
not rear main of the engine, that would be the other side of the trans
the ujoint area will look like that from being greased, the front is the same along with the slip joint
there doesn't look to be any clean oil or drips showing
grease will fly out from the ujoint at speed but it won't wrap up the opposite side of the trans pan

I'd clean it off if it bothers you, otherwise just run with it.

Yes, no drips. I know I need to clean it off and better inspect to know for sure, just wondering if someone else has seen something similar so I have an idea what to check. Just thought it was weird being on the driveshaft, too.

Soon I'll have the vehicle down for front control arms, steering rack, SAIS delete, pre-06 non-SAIS headers, timing belt, water pump, etc. So even though it isn't bad right now, I want to tackle whatever it is then.

Oil leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom