1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oil leak in fj60 head

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by REZARF, Feb 29, 2004.

1. REZARF

REZARF

Howdy-

Just got my 85 fj60 motor swapped into my 76 fj40. The 85 head has a plugged "port" on the passenger side between the 4-5th cylinder (I think), it is leaking... after completed machine work and a test at the machine shop of course.

What are my options to plug this thing up, the leak is significant, is it possible to weld up the hole without blocking the oil passage behind it?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Drew <><

2. dd113

dd113

I never thought about welding it but I guess you could. Stick a lenght of brass rod down the hole then tack it. In the past I have always used 5/16" set screws. I tap it then run the scrw in. Suck the shavings out but very few will gt in if done correctly. I like the welding though.

3. REZARF

REZARF

It looks as though someone has already filled it with some kind of epoxy or something. I am not sure if I like the drill and tap method, where does this oil channel go?

4. dd113

dd113

IIRC it goes back tot hehead bolt then down the side of the bolt into the main oil galley. I have no idea why it is there. The drill and tap has worked very well for me many times. I would try and burn out the epoxy with a torch then weld it up

5. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

That oil passage is what supplys oil to the rocker arms. I did the drill and on mine. Just pull the head bolt, stuff a rag in there to make sure none of the chips drop down into the bolt hole. Drill it, tap it, suck the chips out, then pull the rag out. I gooped up the threads of the plugs with epoxy before threading it in.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">