oil leak ( i know, old news )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The PO had the engine seals replaced at 184K on my rig. It now has 214K, and I am seeing more of an oil leak from the rear on the engine. i am not a big engine mechanic, more like a weekend wrencher. i am wondering just what is the likely cause of the leak, and what might the cost be for someone to fix it. I use the truck for work, and its a matter of time before a customer complains about the oil drip on his driveway.
Thanks

could be rear main seal, oil pan gasket, side cover gasket, or an oil galley plug. You should probably clean the engine really good so you can get a better idal where the leak is coming from.

X2 on cleaning things up a bit...

try tightening the side cover and oil pan bolts; be sure to get the ones behind the clutch cover. chances are they'll all be a little loose. cinch 'em up but be careful not to over tighten.

also make sure your PCV system is in good repair. if it's not, you might be building up crankcase pressure which is exacerbating your leaks.

you can also by the uv dye after you clean it up if you really cant tell but if you do that do it just before you change the oil

X2 on cleaning things up a bit...

try tightening the side cover and oil pan bolts; be sure to get the ones behind the clutch cover. chances are they'll all be a little loose. cinch 'em up but be careful not to over tighten.

also make sure your PCV system is in good repair. if it's not, you might be building up crankcase pressure which is exacerbating your leaks.

X3....also check the valve cover

Thanks for all the inpu! I will search for the torque spec, and do what is needed.
question: where do I look for some one who will clean the engine? I can not very well do it in my driveway. Do they steam clean it?
When i look up "engine cleaning" in the yellow pages, both in the book and on-line, all i get is links to retail sites.

Thanks for all the inpu! I will search for the torque spec, and do what is needed.
question: where do I look for some one who will clean the engine? I can not very well do it in my driveway. Do they steam clean it?
When i look up "engine cleaning" in the yellow pages, both in the book and on-line, all i get is links to retail sites.

I've used simple green, with ok results and a garden hose. or use the engine bright/cleaner in the auto parts store. Myself, I wouldn't use a preasure washer tooo much. really need to pay attention to where the spray is going.

don't clean it in your driveway! Go to one of the coin-op self serve places to clean it!

my 2cents,
Zack

I've used simple green, with ok results and a garden hose. or use the engine bright/cleaner in the auto parts store. Myself, I wouldn't use a preasure washer tooo much. really need to pay attention to where the spray is going.

Don't even need a hose. Simple Green in one bottle mixed @ 50% and another spray bottle of water & a roll of blue shop towels.

However, I found a much better product than Simple Green for engine cleaning. Purple Power.

I really love Simple Green & have used it for years on engines, carpets, upholstery, headliners & just about everything automotive but.... at the advice of a MUD thread I tried a different product to clean my engine... Purple Power. Tha is the actual name. Napa sells it, Walmart is much cheaper. Wouldn't suggest it for upholstery & stuff, but for engines, I found it to bethe best I have ever used..ever.

HTH, John

FYI- Purple Power is also at Advance Auto, just saw it yesterday; But true Wal-Mart is prob best $

If you see Grez-Off that stuff is damn good too. We use it at the Rail yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom