Oil Leak...Fuel Pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have cleaned my engine (F) to locate my oil leak.:) It appears to be leaking from the fuel pump(mechanical). Logic would say...replace the gasket and all is well, right? :crybaby:

I did all of this and the leak is continuing, just as bad as before. What gives? On a somewhat thorough cleaning, I saw no damage to the pump, but once the engine is running, I get a fairly steady stream of oil from the pump area, dripping down on the plate below. Could the pump housing be cracked? Have any of you seen this? Where can I source an OEM pump for my '71?

Replace the pump

Where can I source an OEM pump for my '71?

What Jeff said.

Don’t think OEM is available any more....

Marks off road should have a pump.

SOR will have a pump.

Napa may have a pump.

Carquest may have a pump.

:meh:

Thanks Jeff and poser. That was what I was thinking too, but needed just to make sure. Got one ordered yesterday.

Thanks Jeff and poser. That was what I was thinking too, but needed just to make sure. Got one ordered yesterday.

Did it leak all the time or only when the engine was under some strain? I've been trying to chase an oil leak that I thought was coming from the dipstick tube but given the location of the fuel pump, this makes a lot more sense. My oil is thin and smells like gas. Did your engine still run okay while this was happening? I thought if the fuel pump was leaking this much the engine would be running like crap but maybe not?

Thanks.

Ya know Chris, Now that I think of it :doh: I just might have given you some incomplete advice. It is possible to get a gas smell in your oil from blowby. The blowby thing, one way to tell is to disconnect the pcv valve . Block the hose so you don't have a vacuum leak. Now start the engine and walk around to the engine. If there are exhaust gasses spewing out of the engine from where the pcv valve used to be then you have bad rings and or bad valve seals. If your engine is indeed making oil because the fuel pump is bad then you have lucked out.

On one of my 40s, on a steep decline the engine oil will leak.. The leak appears to be coming from the fuel pump.. I had another pump out for a cleanup and reinstallation on another engine.. I noticed when I washed it that there appeared to be a vent hole from the underside of the diaphragm through to the cam follower opening.. No idea why this is there, but would explain the oil leak as the engine is tilted, the oil runs foward in the engine, higher than the fuel pump and spills out this vent hole thing..

8 or 9 quarts, depending on pan, filter, oil cooler, etc...

The fuel pump contains 3 diaphragms.

The top two are the pumping diaphragms. If the lower one (23103) cracks, it will allow gasoline down into the bottom of the pump, which will wind up in the sump and leaking out the weephole.

The lowest, smaller diaphragm (23133) is the oil seal. If it is failing, it will allow oil out the bottom weephole, or allow water into the crankcase on a deep ford.
fuelpump.JPG

Rebuild kits are available from Toyota USA, but the kit is more than the price of a new OEM fuel pump in an aftermarket box. IOW, if a person wanted to rebuild a 1977 pump, the most cost effective way to do it would be to buy a new Kyosan pump at Advance Autoparts, and remove the guts to use as a rebuild kit.

Ya know Chris, Now that I think of it :doh: I just might have given you some incomplete advice. It is possible to get a gas smell in your oil from blowby. The blowby thing, one way to tell is to disconnect the pcv valve . Block the hose so you don't have a vacuum leak. Now start the engine and walk around to the engine. If there are exhaust gasses spewing out of the engine from where the pcv valve used to be then you have bad rings and or bad valve seals. If your engine is indeed making oil because the fuel pump is bad then you have lucked out.
Yeah, somehow I don't think I'll be that lucky. I'm taking it in to the garage to have a leakdown test done. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm expecting the worse.....

Do the newer pumps work the same way?
After getting the Gazoo on the road I was fine and suddenly I started having a severe leak. I got :princess: to put it under load after it was nice and hot and I got a heck of a steady stream of oil from what appears to be a vent hole on the newer style pump below.
The screwdriver in the pic is pointing to the hole the oil was streaming from on the old pump.

DSCF0874[1].jpg
DSCF0874[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom