Oil leak from rear of engine - 2003 w/233k miles. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my 2003 out for a short drive today and noticed a burning oil smell as I got out. Looked under the driver's side fender and found this spot. It appears to be dripping down on the area in the photo from somewhere on the rear driver's side corner of the engine. Today's drive was up a very steep grade at low speed through some switchbacks. I wiped the area clean and drove back down and checked for oil again, nothing. Drove around 60 miles back home via interstate, again no oil. No leaks up to this point.

I stopped a couple of times prior to the steep grade and noticed no smells or oil leaks. It seems like it only happened on the steep ascent.

Can't find any other evidence of a leak from any angle above or below the engine. Tried using a mirror to peek around and still couldn't find anything. Any ideas where to look?

land cruiser oil leak.jpg

Maybe valve cover gasket dripping down the block.

Valve cover gasket and/or half moon...

Sounds like you may have a clogged PCV, boosting pressure and forcing oil past your valve cover gaskets as mentioned here. Check if it's gummed up.

Sounds like you may have a clogged PCV, boosting pressure and forcing oil past your valve cover gaskets as mentioned here. Check if it's gummed up.
Good Point. I don't think it is the rear seal because it is too early to leak those. It got to be anything mentioned in earlier threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom