Oil leak from flywheel cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More than likely that "moistness" is either from the rear main seal or the tail-end of the oil pan/seal. I've got the same thing happening...so join the club!!

BTW, from what I've read, it doesn't sound like the rear main seal will be an easy project...sounds like the tranny has to get dropped.

Maybe some of the more knowledgable 2F people can give us some insight.

probably rear main or front trans seal depending on the type of oil. Be sure the oil is not from the rear of the valve cover. I've many, many misdiagnosed rear mains that were v/c gaskets. Like anyone who has fixed a leaky roof can tell you, fluid can run all over before it drips off.

probably rear main or front trans seal depending on the type of oil. Be sure the oil is not from the rear of the valve cover. I've many, many misdiagnosed rear mains that were v/c gaskets. Like anyone who has fixed a leaky roof can tell you, fluid can run all over before it drips off.

Hmmm, good suggestion... I'll check that out

Thanks

Like Todd said check the valve cover first. If it's the rear main seal it's one piece and you will have to remove the tranny and flywheel, drop the oil pan and lower the crank a little. You shouldn't have to fully remove the crank, just loosen the main bearings ( somebody correct me if I'm wrong ). If you have lots of mileage on your engine then I would wait to rebuild the engine before just changing the seal.

Deff. the rear main seal, or one of the others that were mentioned. Its not that hard of a thing to replace, just have to drop the tranny :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom