Oil leak from around gearbox HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys.

I have 1985 HJ60 that has an oil leak from around the gearbox. I've replaced the rear main seal & valve cover gasket. It's not the Sump Gasket, because after degreasing it there is no oil around there.

Is there any seals/gaskets that join the engine to the gearbox?

After degreasing quite thoroughly, I let it sit for about 20-30mins so it could dry, then started it and let it run for about 10mins and the oil leak was back.

It's a slow leak coming from somewhere but enough to annoy me.

I can take photos, if it makes it easier to determine where it might be coming from. :)

Hey guys.

I have 1985 HJ60 that has an oil leak from around the gearbox. I've replaced the rear main seal & valve cover gasket. It's not the Sump Gasket, because after degreasing it there is no oil around there.

Is there any seals/gaskets that join the engine to the gearbox?

After degreasing quite thoroughly, I let it sit for about 20-30mins so it could dry, then started it and let it run for about 10mins and the oil leak was back.

It's a slow leak coming from somewhere but enough to annoy me.

I can take photos, if it makes it easier to determine where it might be coming from. :)

I had a rather annoying oil leak coming from the oil cutoff switch on the right side of the block. The oil would always accumulated behind the engine near the gear box.

If the leak is gear oil, I'd suspect the front transmission seal. My FJ40 had this for years, and I chronically mis-diagnosed it as the rear main seal. I presume your transmission is not overfilled (which would tend to make this worse)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom