Oil leak for 1hz Exhaust Gasket. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I have found oil leaking from my 1hz's exhaust gasket (or so it seems) at the 1st and 6th exhaust outlets (see photos attached).

I Initial thought it was the head gasket leaking or the valve cover gasket, but the more I look at it the more it appears to be coming from the exhaust manifold gasket. Also when I was investigating the problem further now, I saw that the mechanic fitted the exhaust gaskets upside down when my head gasket was replace previously (less than 2 years ago). Not sure if this is now causing a bad seal, but even so I would not expect to see oil leaking from it except if a valve seal has gone in which case I would also see white smoke which I do not see.

I would appreciate it if someone can let me know if they have seen this before or any thought from where the oil might be leaking from?

20191117_164445.jpg

20191117_164443.jpg

20191117_164349.jpg

20191117_164357.jpg

20191117_164629.jpg

The best thing to do with oil leaks is to clean them down and watch it come back by checking it daily or when ever the engine is warmed up.

You need to decide whether it is coming up from the sump or leaking from somewhere around the cyl head.
Try taking the air crossover tube off and looking inside. If it has oil inside you can be sure it is coming from the sump. 1HZs tend to get a little oil in there as they get older. It could be from high rpms or a little overfilling. If its dry and old looking ,dont worry about it.

The oil on your engine looks like it has accumulated over a long period, its not gushing out. If it is a leak, it may only leak when hot.
Any leaks at the front of the engine, even mild leaks, tend to migrate to the rear of the engine. You might have a leak from the rocker cover.

That back the front exhaust gasket would drive me nuts and I would fix it just for my sanity and to eliminate it as a leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom