1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil in stock Air cleaner

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by vtcruiser60, Feb 16, 2004.

1. vtcruiser60

vtcruiser60 SILVER Star

Re: Stock, 84 FJ60 216k, rebuilt head.

I am several days into a repair on a exhaust leak but continue to scratch my head on why I would have deposits of oil in my air cleaner assembly. The pcv valve is new and the hoses do not appear obstructed. I seem to be getting oil blown up the hose on the top of the valve cover and into the port on the rear of the air cleaner assembly.

Is this normal?

2. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

With our FJ60 a few years ago I saw this also when vehicle was being used heavily on long drives. At the time my mechanic buddy said the system is designed to occasionally deposit excess oil there. Just my opinion but I wasn't concerned then.

3. jeffroid

jeffroid

How much oil are you getting? The same thing happened to me, but I was getting huge amounts of oil in my air cleaner. To make a long, long story short, I eventually did a leak down test and discovered that my rings were leaking badly. This was overpressurizing my crankcase and blowing the oil into the air cleaner. I'm no mechanic, and not sure exactly how this happens, but I recall reading posts in regards to re-routing the hoses for the PCV to mitigate this problem.

I had other problems as well. The oil was getting sucked into my air pump, which eventually ruined it. In the meantime, all that oil and some other chunks of debris (peices from my toasted air pump I suppose) ended up screwing up the valves in the AI system that route the air from the air pump. As a result, the oil was getting sucked through my airpump and routed right back to my airfilter again via the bypass hose, along with the broken chunks that I believe came from my toasted air pump.

Anyway, hopefully that is not your problem, but you need to be concerned. If the oil is excessive, it will ruin your airpump and the valves and stuff that run the AI system. In my case, it was very evident that my crankcase was overpressured by removing the oil filler cap while the engine was idling.

To conclude this long response, I eventually installed a rebuilt engine, learned a lot more about the AI system that I ever wanted to know, and am now very happy with the way my truck is running - albeit a lot poorer ! ! !

4. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Simplest, easiest, quickest, cheapest fix is check the PCV valve.
    Ed

5. vtcruiser60

vtcruiser60 SILVER Star

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am talking two or three teaspoonfuls of oil, not quarts. So let's hope this is not a big issue. I think I'll replace the PCV anyway. It appears fine, rattles as it is supposed to, but it is a cheap fix.

Thanks guys. -KMK

6. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Compression check will help too.
    Ed :)

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">