Oil in my intake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

midknightc3

SILVER Star
Threads
Took my intake and exhaust manifolds apart to fix some exhaust leaks. This came off amazingly well after 4 days of penetrating oil. No broken studs or bolts, everything turned with ease and knuckles are mostly intact. After pulling the manifolds out however, I noticed that all 6 intake ports have oil residue in them. I had noticed that I'm loosing oil, but nothing noticeable in the exhaust and chalked it up to cumulative from some minor leaks underneath. Now I'm nervous! This motor was rebuilt about 60k miles ago and has ran great (though I blew a head gasket about 15k ago, which was odd), still runs great besides intake/exhaust leak symptoms with the Holley Sniper. PCV valve is new, and there is no oil in the PCV tubing. Rest of the intake is clean with no residue. All 6 intakes have an even coating of oil, not particularly worse in any given cylinder. How worried should I be?
ZTFnx6RX8XKh5bbvoitkEb2Qvi_Kd5tblxLYAdSNZgrc56NFDHZUQ2dJmoHb1h47cdOpFv9Q03v_Y63NwNjNUyPQuJRK4kw0ifhiP1ZOtEfZZWjkvzmg55GkiTSn-Q84TLgI9_oDwEw26J3v4DnZZjGvzoADdZXwsgyU2qo3dFrjnc-eKcDYGQM6Jpd2fDnNZf-eFqQPjRxi6-EG9Q2_J3sqcd_6Mb9MBvTIh9SzQK4aT4qbq00bx8wBb3uJj-p99S_tTbjcfdKDKdGLujkYgXAJiAORSJGkv2RR99C5X0mHGh7SG3dKAhpOFE3gH5ybA-oYvdYgoNofrIpj-go0eFKmaFDk__XnU74t4QV_YebqA7QufnTOruLKlosp9dsaOuc04HvFu_brrAkn8O-Q957LJTPnFMj1GuO3-3Qwn8EX2wEYjePoLJ5vhf1dWfZN-YoXHV4gcnXlnX8XI0w8GYquHWo72Vv2OYR7GApq24opOP27BUJlUC7taKmwNGE_1nJGLD_ZPbOZwFRQkuILKPZM3N7fxbB2yfKFvLyplUE_qjbfjMZRBGWwyzU9liCxUwc-DBpzy0I0HvSCR5Zf7nORH1IGIdlSR81Xve175r2HlT7Lez8yGMZ4zfD_wQ0Vb7YiI_M_No88YLiDFF-bCQUm1o0Vpw-F8z7XCfz7K4WmfvYf8nCBU3-CcltAN_9h7UtbJCZHVJ5pCDL-pSu-EKo=w444-h912-no

Thanks!
Clark

Leaky valve stems? I initially was gonna say check the pcv valve, but you’re sure it’s good? I had oil in mine recently and discovered it was from a pcv valve that I thought was functioning.

It's certainly worth considering more, and they aren't that expensive so maybe I just replace it to be sure. Does a bad PCV valve allow oil to come through the lines into the intake at that fitting on the rear of the manifold, or does it pressurize the system such that it forces oil through the valves?

It's certainly worth considering more, and they aren't that expensive so maybe I just replace it to be sure. Does a bad PCV valve allow oil to come through the lines into the intake at that fitting on the rear of the manifold, or does it pressurize the system such that it forces oil through the valves?
It could be allowing oil to pass beyond the valve, which was my case... but I’m not sure if you’d be able to pressurize the crank case enough to push oil through the valve stem seals. If they didn’t replace the valve stem seals then it’s likely they have failed. Who rebuilt that engine? Did you figure out why you blew your head gasket so quickly?

do u have a master brake cylinder issue requires filling it often ?

if NOT then your intake looks normal unless oil is running out or dripping ?

remember gas fuel is refined oil

at it pure form ..........

@cps432, the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner so I would have to go through his papers but I remember it was a local shop with a good reputation. Have never really figured out the blown gasket, shop that did the head saved the gasket to show me and it was the quality style. Cylinder 3 had ate through the gasket into the water jacket. She pinged a lot under load, so I have assumed that is what did it. Much to my horror even after backing the timing all the way to 0* (I think that's where I'm at now?) she still pings with 91 octane gas and the Sniper setup, I'v learned to back off the throttle soon as I hear the pinging.

The symptoms that started me down this rabbit hole are that since installing the Sniper she will stall when coming to a stop sign while cold, hesitation at 2000rpm, and hard starts when it's cold. Have pulled and re-sealed the Sniper side of things multiple times, got to thinking I might have a crack in the manifold. Confirmed I have a leaky bushing around the heat riser, though I'm not certain it would be enough to cause my symptoms.

@ToyotaMatt , no master cylinder issues. There is slight oily residue coming out as she sits now, but nothing that had seeped through the gasket. @pithicus this makes sense, and as soon as I read your post I remembered similar intakes on friends vehicles and determining it was normal for them. ToyotaMatt's comment about fuel being refined oil also makes perfect sense. This is all making me feel better, now to get the intakes back together with fresh gaskets and see if this has fixed the above Sniper symptoms!

Also, why are y'all up at this hour, night shifters or just night owl's? I'm at work, but everything is running smoothly so I have time for extra curricular activities between tasks.

Ah! Totally missed that you are down under. It's now 0320 here, coffee's starting to wear off.

The oil on the intake ports is coming from the intake manifold. The intake manifold is getting oil from the PCV plumbing. The PCV plumbing is passing oil vapor because the engine normally blows by some oil vapor when it’s running.
If the spark plugs aren’t getting fouled and oil consumption isn’t excessive- everything is fine.

The oil on the intake ports is coming from the intake manifold. The intake manifold is getting oil from the PCV plumbing. The PCV plumbing is passing oil vapor because the engine normally blows by some oil vapor when it’s running.
If the spark plugs aren’t getting fouled and oil consumption isn’t excessive- everything is fine.
+ 1.
Even new engines have blow by and the PVC system is doing its job. Looks pretty normal to me. I'd take off your air intake chamber and give it a good clean. The cold start injector can get clogged up pretty badly... and the gasoline that is being sprayed from that injector helps to keep the whole intake system "clean". Gasoline, being a detergent.

When you reassemble everything use remflex gaskets if you’re not already. Follow their instructions. I’ve been reading some trouble shooting threads on the sniper and I believe you may benefit from using 87 rather than 91 octane. Try it and see. Pininging will blow through a head gasket and or a piston head. Early detonation is no good. What distributor are you using? If it’s the stock dizzy you may need to service it and make sure the advance is working correctly. There’s a Bakelite stop busing in there that’s almost certainly trashed and should be replaced with an aluminum piece that you can pick up at ace for .75 cents. Without the bushing/spacer you are probably running 3-4 degrees of advance more than you should when the advance kicks in. Is it causing the pinging? Maybe? It’s likely a combo of little things that need to be tweaked.

Just replaced my head with a fresh one I had rebuilt and in the garage in the past month. Thought I had a blown head gasket, but my issue ended up being a combination of a lot of small issues, vacuum leaks, radiator cap leaking by ETC. ( a costly oversight on my behalf )

In the end my old head was in pretty good shape, but it did have similar oil residue in the intake ports.
So maybe it it just builds up over time.

@cps432, the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner so I would have to go through his papers but I remember it was a local shop with a good reputation. Have never really figured out the blown gasket, shop that did the head saved the gasket to show me and it was the quality style. Cylinder 3 had ate through the gasket into the water jacket. She pinged a lot under load, so I have assumed that is what did it. Much to my horror even after backing the timing all the way to 0* (I think that's where I'm at now?) she still pings with 91 octane gas and the Sniper setup, I'v learned to back off the throttle soon as I hear the pinging.

The symptoms that started me down this rabbit hole are that since installing the Sniper she will stall when coming to a stop sign while cold, hesitation at 2000rpm, and hard starts when it's cold. Have pulled and re-sealed the Sniper side of things multiple times, got to thinking I might have a crack in the manifold. Confirmed I have a leaky bushing around the heat riser, though I'm not certain it would be enough to cause my symptoms.

@ToyotaMatt , no master cylinder issues. There is slight oily residue coming out as she sits now, but nothing that had seeped through the gasket. @pithicus this makes sense, and as soon as I read your post I remembered similar intakes on friends vehicles and determining it was normal for them. ToyotaMatt's comment about fuel being refined oil also makes perfect sense. This is all making me feel better, now to get the intakes back together with fresh gaskets and see if this has fixed the above Sniper symptoms!

Also, why are y'all up at this hour, night shifters or just night owl's? I'm at work, but everything is running smoothly so I have time for extra curricular activities between tasks.

i failed to mention and ask the SIMPLE TECH fundamental BIG TOPIC Smoking GUNS Question , badd me ! 😆

post Photos of ALL 6 spark plugs pulled Lable each one with black sharpie pen in order #1 front #6 fire wall

this will yield MUCH health study tech on this topic

serious , this is a huge FSM #1 step by steo order of great things .....

I will pull the plugs probably on Wednesday when I get off work and take a look! They are new with the Sniper, so should give a good representation of things since that install. I'm currently running an HEI dizzy, though I've thought about sending the factory one off to get recurved and get some more space to run either size oil filter (local shops have a hard time finding the skinny filters). Remflex gaskets are in the garage waiting for me to have enough time to get things cleaned up and back together.

I will pull the plugs probably on Wednesday when I get off work and take a look! They are new with the Sniper, so should give a good representation of things since that install. I'm currently running an HEI dizzy, though I've thought about sending the factory one off to get recurved and get some more space to run either size oil filter (local shops have a hard time finding the skinny filters). Remflex gaskets are in the garage waiting for me to have enough time to get things cleaned up and back together.
You could do the recurve yourself. Granted it’s probably not as in depth as JimC’s work. But it’ll take a few hours and about $20...
See Post #154...

Here are the plugs in order from 1-6 L-R. If you click on the image you can blow it up pretty well, and these probably have 15k miles on them.
1Z4A4620.JPG

Clark

Over all the plugs look great for 15k on them. Just normal wear.
Nothing really stands out to me other than that cylinder 5 and 6 are running a bit leaner than the other 4 cylinders.
That's pretty normal in my experience with my 2F engine and my old Ford 200 inline 6.
Due to the design of the intake, each cylinder will vary on the amount of fuel a tiny bit, nothing can be done about it.

I'm by no means a professional mechanic, just my opinion.

@midknightc3, the oily intake is fine.

Also, a reasonably well set-up 2F shouldn't need high octane fuel unless some major machine work has occurred. Based on your plugs, it doesn't appear that you're running crazily lean either. Check your timing and adjust it accordingly for your altitude.

Thank you both for your replies, I didn't think they looked bad, but I am just a monkey who turns wrenches, I still have a hell of a lot to learn about actual mechanicing (yep, I'm calling that a word now). The Goat seems to be running smoother and with more power now, so I'm hoping that I found a leak and fixed it in there somewhere and that was the answer to my problems. After this tank of gas I'll also go back to 87 octane and play with the timing again, I'm pretty sure I had set it to 7 TDC, trying to stop the pinging even though we live at 5500' and typically wheel higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom