Oil in intake, new PCV (3FE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a continuation of another thread "AFM adjusted on 3FE MUCH BETTER!"

Running Rich or oily?
I think I was "feeling" it running rich, but now think it's running oily. I have a lot of oil in my intake hose and crud coming out my tailpipe (wasn't oily, felt like wet carbon).
P1010383.jpg

P1010395.jpg

More info:
2012 summer replaced a piston, new rings all around, head redone, new radiator, new EMS exhaust, new oil pump, new rod bearings, new EGR stuff, and other new stuff I'm not recalling right now.

Found rocker assembly was not re-assembled correctly and oil wasn't flowing out each rocker. Found that while running without valve cover while doing a valve adjustment. Machine shop who did head, cleaned and reassembled the rocker assembly :mad:! Fixed this.

Fall of 2013, I decided to play with my ruined, spare AFM (2 screw deal) so soldered it and adjusted the sprocket to make it run leaner. It ran AWESOME, but had a high idle. This weekend I put the un-modified AFM back in. Still high idle. I tapped on the intake near "flap" and idle went down a bit. I thought it was my homemade throttle body gasket, so I replaced it.
P1010382.jpg

Today: Okay, I'm back to now. I'm thinking I've got a LOT of oil getting into my intake tube. I realize I need to pull plugs and check for oil along with a compression check, but it's January and weather doesn't allow a lot of tinkering right now. I changed the oil and cleaned the throttle body real good and will drive it tomorrow.

Okay, now for the questions:
If I had "blow-by" or oil getting past my rings, the compression check will verify this right? When doing compression check, I plan on doing a "dry" check, then squirting a little oil down plug hole to see if compression improves. This will verify if my cylinder/ring/pistons are leaking oil into the combustion chamber, right? Would it run this well if I have blow-by? Would I get "blue" smoke when flooring it? I've had vehicles with this problem before and had a lot of blue smoke, but no blue smoke on Land Cruiser.

Could my valve seats be leaking allowing oil to come down from the rocker area down into the combustion chamber?

There is oil in the big rubber hose air intake! What I don't understand is why this isn't ALWAYS a problem with 2 small rubber hoses sucking oil from the valve cover into the big rubber hose. I realize the PCV is a one-way valve, but don't understand the other hose.

Hints?

Cabin fever: It's getting cold again and probably won't hit 50 for a while, in the mean time I figured I'd think through some things and ask questions. Plus I'm bored. The only good thing about winter is SPRING!

Lastly (Good news): This used to be our spare family vehicle and my toy. My son is 17 and took the other car, so its my daily driver (2 miles to work). Today we bought a Toyota Venza for the wife, plan to sell the Honda Fit she used to drive. Then buy a Camry for the son, then sell the Honda Pilot he's been driving. When that's all done, I get to get another spare vehicle! Hmmm, what type of vehicle will that be? Hmmmmmmmm. . . . FJ62 with the same, beloved 3FE? Find an old 4-Runner with a removable roof? WE'RE BACK TO BEING A TOYOTA FAMILY AGAIN! Nothing against Hondas, good running cars, but steering is too tight and rode noise too loud.

P1010383.jpg

P1010395.jpg

P1010382.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom