Oil in intake and loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When replacing the distributor today I had to remove the intake hose, when I did I noticed there was oil in the hose. After I got the distributor in and got the truck started there was no power at all and the idle was horrid. Also when driving the intake seems to make a popping sound. Also all my plugs were foul and I replaced them all and still the problem of no power at all. Could it be a PCV valve? Anyway to check if it's the head gasket? And where is the PCV valve on a 91' I've never replaced one before.

Thanks,
Nick

Why did you replace your entire distributor assembly??

DougM

It died. The rotor melted off, replaced that, still no spark, replaced teh cap and still no spark, replaced teh distributor got a spark. Now she runs s***ty :crybaby:

Sounds to me like the basic timing is off. All the other stuff is window dressing compared to getting the basic timing on. What have you done to confirm the timing is correct since you had such a catastrophic failure of the distributor??

DougM

Ditto Doug on the timing suggestion. I'd check that the timing was on before you get too worried. If you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras.

Did the distributor go bad on its own, or was there something else up? If the timing is on, you might give the coil and plug wires a look.

When the car died, the engine seemed very hot and thus melted the rotor off the distributor.

nyk438 said:
When the car died, the engine seemed very hot and thus melted the rotor off the distributor.

:eek:

Nick,

I dunno if this is some kind of secret, or if you want us to dedicate 4 pages of threads to dragging little piecemeal bits of information out of you to diagnose. Either way, it sounds like a lot went on with this engine and if you want the people who know it well to advise you, I suggest you simply lay out how long you've had it, what happened, what's been done, etc. Otherwise this is turning into a real yawner of a drama...

DougM

You need to determine exactly what happened to cause the rotor to melt. First time I have heard of this occurring. Once you know what caused that problem, then you need to correct the cause.

Your current no power, bad idle, popping, etc is possibly becuase the engine timing is way off. Perhaps when you installed the distributor you didn't have the rotor properly aligned.

Oil in intake is due to bad pcv valve.

I think your biggest issue is to resolve what caused the distributor to fail in the first place.

nyk438 said:

Ummm.... Ditto to Doug. This is kinda vital information here. Just replacing the distributor after something like this happened would be akin to trying to rebuild a house that's still on fire.

nyk438 said:

It's possible there is an electrical problem that caused the rotor to melt though it seems unlikely. Are you implying that the melted rotor is from an overheated engine?

-B-

yep, oil on the intake won't cause this much problems. When you insert the dizzy, remember that the gearing will spin the rotor as it gets inserted and thus you may be off a tooth and need to readjust timing (as everyone's suggested thusfar). Definetely start there.

Well... what had happened wuz.....

Seriously, this is not a good thing, IF your motor was hot enough to melt your rotor, then you have more problems than timing. And really, look at post #9, let us know what happened, you may be damaging your engine further by running it.
Good luck,
Dan

IdahoDoug said:
Nick,

I dunno if this is some kind of secret, or if you want us to dedicate 4 pages of threads to dragging little piecemeal bits of information out of you to diagnose. Either way, it sounds like a lot went on with this engine and if you want the people who know it well to advise you, I suggest you simply lay out how long you've had it, what happened, what's been done, etc. Otherwise this is turning into a real yawner of a drama...

DougM

It's not some kind of secret, it's more of an I have no idea why it's the rotor melted. Looking at the old rotor it seems as if the bottom of it had melted, when I pulled the cap off the rotor fell right out. Sorry if I'm confusing anyone or making it seem like I'm keeping something from everyone I'm just in the dark right now and do not have the money to take it to a mechanic due to being in college and this car is expensive to fix. And also I'm not in the position to take on another loan or buy another car. Also, my dad bought the truck in 91' so any records that I can't find in hard copy I rely on him.

--I guess the right question would is what can cause the distributor to fail like that? It hadn't been replaced since bought in Sept. 91', I remember when I pulled over and turned off the truck the exhaust coming off the manifold was orange, I didn't know if that was normal or no? I'm going to try and see if I can borrow a friends digital camera and get pics of the rotor and failed distributor. Timing must be off, I did the replacement myself and tried to follow the instructions on the Haynes manual precisley. The car seems to be heating up real quick when turning it on, now in the past my father had the problem of the car not starting when hot and had some toyota master mechanic rewire the whole fuse box and everything.

I feel dangerous right now, I know just little enough to think I know what I'm doing and I can really screw things up :eek:

This is my first time I'm really doing work on my truck myself so I'm sorry for any confusion caused I don't want this to be a 4 page thread I just want the damned truck to work :D

Thanks
-Nick

Edit: I wish I could take it to a mechanic but right now under the cirumstances I can't :crybaby:. Trying my best to diagnose the problem but I'm a newbie to working on my rig, always was too scared; well now I have no choice :doh:

Last edited:
OK - gotcha. This is a family steed that's been well cared for and one day while you were driving along something caused you to pull over. At that time, you noted the exhaust pipes nearest the exhaust manifold were glowing. I don't know what the 'something' was, and I don't know what you did after that (start up after cooling down and drove home fine? Got towed home? Just drove it home overheating - what?)

It's been awhile since I had my 92 so I can't recall if the distributor is above the exhaust manifold, or not. I think it is on the right hand side, so that may be your heat damaged non-Toyota rotor (Toyota rotors are a Bakelight type material that would not have melted).

The source of the glowing exhaust (very not normal, BTW) is likely a plugged catalytic converter. If you live in an area with emissions testing you're in for a serious investment. If not, cut it off and toss it - replace it with a piece of 'test' pipe, etc. This is also why the truck still gets hot when you run it.

The other stuff may or may not be a timing issue from putting the distributor in wrong. I suspect it is off, and I don't know how hard it is to correct.

When you overheated, what was the state of the coolant, and oil? Meaning did you have enough of both of these vital fluids?

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
OK - gotcha. This is a family steed that's been well cared for and one day while you were driving along something caused you to pull over. At that time, you noted the exhaust pipes nearest the exhaust manifold were glowing. I don't know what the 'something' was, and I don't know what you did after that (start up after cooling down and drove home fine? Got towed home? Just drove it home overheating - what?)

It's been awhile since I had my 92 so I can't recall if the distributor is above the exhaust manifold, or not. I think it is on the right hand side, so that may be your heat damaged non-Toyota rotor (Toyota rotors are a Bakelight type material that would not have melted).

The source of the glowing exhaust (very not normal, BTW) is likely a plugged catalytic converter. If you live in an area with emissions testing you're in for a serious investment. If not, cut it off and toss it - replace it with a piece of 'test' pipe, etc. This is also why the truck still gets hot when you run it.

The other stuff may or may not be a timing issue from putting the distributor in wrong. I suspect it is off, and I don't know how hard it is to correct.

When you overheated, what was the state of the coolant, and oil? Meaning did you have enough of both of these vital fluids?

DougM

After I had to pull over and shut her off, the truck would not start the next day after I let it cool. Had to get it towed home. My main o2 sensor is gone and I finally had the cash to pay for it when I ran into this problem (I was saving for both o2's). Oil when I pulled was low, coolant was normal. I have a rear seal leak and now since the truck has sat for a 3 weeks I have another oil leak (oil pan gasket?) it's towards the front of the truck. Will try and get pics once I get a camera. Also I replaced the fuel filter with a new one two weeks ago when I hadn't been smart enough to pull the cap up :whoops:. Did the onboard test for the fuel filter and I heard the humming noise and the fuel line was pressurized (Don't know if thats right term). So tomorrow pull off the heat shield and see what the fawk is going on with my cat? Also fix the damned timing. :eek:

The distributor is on the passenger side of the engine. It's right under the air intake hose that goes to the air filter.

Nick,

Come on over and introduce yourself to the 3FE list at Yahoo Groups. We've got a handful of members in Austin; you might even be able to get yourself some hands on assistance.

Good luck,

Curtis
91FJ80

Is the truck in Austin? I can help you with your timming- have a timming light will travel...

Last edited:
FrankTorres said:
Is the truck in Austin? I can help you with your timming- have a timming light will travel...
here's my cell 512-914-0759

I wish the truck was in Austin so I could take you up on your offer :doh:. I go to school at University of Texas at San Antonio so it's sitting in my Apt complex parking lot right near the school.

Thanks for the offer.

CJF

Going to go to do that now, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom