Oil in diaphragm housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I changed the diaphragm in the 3B last night (such a joy to do) and when i took the cover off some oil ran out and there was also some oil in the bottom of the housing.

I know you aren't supposed to get oil on the diaphragm or it will ruin it (other than the oil designed to lubricate it) so this seemed odd. I was able to soak up the oil and clean it up. Maybe the PO overoiled it?

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not. The 3B was running rough at idle and seems to be running smoother since i changed it.

Thanks for the help.

I changed the diaphragm in the 3B last night (such a joy to do) and when i took the cover off some oil ran out and there was also some oil in the bottom of the housing.

I know you aren't supposed to get oil on the diaphragm or it will ruin it (other than the oil designed to lubricate it) so this seemed odd. I was able to soak up the oil and clean it up. Maybe the PO overoiled it?

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not. The 3B was running rough at idle and seems to be running smoother since i changed it.

Thanks for the help.

Pretty normal on a high mileage ;)2H, Just drain it and:steer:drive it, should:cool: run a bit better now. Can also pull out the diaphragm and inspect it and get someone with small hands to replace it lol :princess:wife or better still child.[maybe just a little stretched thats all]. :idea:Most likely it is a long, long time since it was checked and thats all..:hillbilly:

x2 that it is probably fine... just neglected
x2 on the small hands thing. I've *got* small hands (I'm 5'6") and that was still a really tricky job.

Two tips while reinstalling:
1 if the little clip goes flying into the housing area, a small magnetic pickup is a good tool to get it back out with.
2 putting a pan/tarp other large object under the area while you are working can save you a lot of time hunting for that darned clip if it goes flying.

Thanks for the help.

I think you should read this thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/193714-1st-oil-drain-30-years.html

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom