Oil idiot light. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone!

Probably really stupud problem, but anyway.
My oil idiot light popped up unexpectedly (it's never really expected, is it?) while driving on level surface, petrol '97 TLC.

Pulled up, stopped the engine, panicked for a bit, all usual procedures.
Dipstick shows that there is enough oil in the pan, pressure gauge also works fine: sits in the beginning of medium section on idle, goes up as revs build up and so forth. Started up, all works fine, no idiot light anymore.

From those careful observations I've arrived to a wise conclusion that my oil light pickup is heading towards the better world, or, at least, I really hope it is and the engine is fine.

Am I right or am I actually having problem with oil pump\lines\something else?

I thought the oil idiot light on our Land Cruiser 80s was an oil level light rather than a pressure light, but either way, it likely operates the same way. The sensor switch on the block grounds whenever the oil reaches or a certain level or pressure is at a certain level, which then turns the light on.

If the wire on the sensor came loose, the light would not come on, but if the wire bounced around and grounded for a second on the engine or chassis, it would.

This is one possibility for the light. If you can find the sensor, I'd check to see that the wire was still attached. Especially considering your gauge is indicating something different.

The yellow "Aladdin's lamp" symbol? it is for oil level, not pressure and it is very sensitive, will come on as little as a quart low witch is above the add mark on the stick.

The yellow "Aladdin's lamp" symbol? it is for oil level, not pressure and it is very sensitive, will come on as little as a quart low witch is above the add mark on the stick.

x2 Mine came on in the middle of nowhere in Navajo country, even though I had checked the level 10 minutes prior and it was way above min level. I added a quart and everything went back to normal. "Very sensitive" is an understatement.:)

x3. I like it that way acutally, it keeps me honest about my oil level. The wifey's passat can drop to less than a quart TOTAL VOLUME REMAINING before her oil light goes on. Don't ask how I know.....

I use mine as an oil change reminder.
I burn a quart every 3k miles or so. When the light comes on, I know what I'm doing that weekend. .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom