Oil Housing Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I changed the oil in my '13 LC a few days ago, and I swapped out the plastic housing cap with the metal one (15620-31060). I torqued the oil housing to 18lbs. I don't know how tight the plug is, but it seems tight. Now, I'm getting a slow leak. What did I do wrong??

Thanks!

IMG_1220.JPG

Did you also replace the perforated support tube in the metal housing with the one that was in the stock resin housing?

And I'l echo @tbisaacs for emphasis: did you replace the smaller O-Ring under the end plug?

HTH

I’ve had this exact same issue. I also have the Toyota metal housing. It’s stupid how fussy the filter housing and gaskets are. It is what it is though.

First I assume you used both gaskets, the big one on the housing itself and the small one on the housing drain plug. The big one needs to be in the correct grove.

Here are the steps that are critical:

1. Large gasket/o-ring needs to be in the top groove on the housing. The o-ring needs to be completely lubricated with oil. It is easy for it to get twisted if not lubricated. I actually submerge it in oil before I install it.

2, the little o-ring needs to be put in the groove around the drain hole. It also needs to be lubricated.

3. Filter housing needs to be torqued 18 ftlb. Use a good torque wrench. Use a small wrench like 250 lb in. Accuracy matters. Over torquing will mess up the o-ring.

4. Plug torque is 9 ft lb. I torque it first, then the housing so I don’t have any chance of adding torque to the housing.

Edit: the location of your drip looks like it may just be the small o-ring. I'd just try replacing it first. The first time I installed the metal housing, I just tried again replacing the the o-rings. The only thing I know I did different the second time was submerging the o-rings in a pool of oil.

Last edited:
Here are a couple other threads with some good pics showing the proper groove for the big o-ring:

I'm SUCH a moron. This is the first time doing the oil change, and I wrongly put the small o ring on the INSIDE of the housing at the base. I then put the filter on top of the o ring.

I had another small o ring on hand, so I removed the oil filter plug, put the o ring in the right spot, and then screwed the plug back in. It looks like that solved the problem. Is it ok that the small o ring is still inside the housing??

I'm SUCH a moron. This is the first time doing the oil change, and I wrongly put the small o ring on the INSIDE of the housing at the base. I then put the filter on top of the o ring.

I had another small o ring on hand, so I removed the oil filter plug, put the o ring in the right spot, and then screwed the plug back in. It looks like that solved the problem. Is it ok that the small o ring is still inside the housing??

Well... probably not OK. I can only imagine that the presence of the small O-ring at the base of the perforated tube will allow oil to bypass the filter - certainly not ideal.

I would recommend chalking it up to a lesson learned and remove the filter housing and get that small O-ring out of there. This will also allow you to put that small O-ring where it belongs inside the bottom plug.

Anyway... glad you figured it out.

HTH

I’ve had this exact same issue. I also have the Toyota metal housing. It’s stupid how fussy the filter housing and gaskets are. It is what it is though.

First I assume you used both gaskets, the big one on the housing itself and the small one on the housing drain plug. The big one needs to be in the correct grove.

Here are the steps that are critical:

1. Large gasket/o-ring needs to be in the top groove on the housing. The o-ring needs to be completely lubricated with oil. It is easy for it to get twisted if not lubricated. I actually submerge it in oil before I install it.

2, the little o-ring needs to be put in the groove around the drain hole. It also needs to be lubricated.

3. Filter housing needs to be torqued 18 ftlb. Use a good torque wrench. Use a small wrench like 250 lb in. Accuracy matters. Over torquing will mess up the o-ring.

4. Plug torque is 9 ft lb. I torque it first, then the housing so I don’t have any chance of adding torque to the housing.

Edit: the location of your drip looks like it may just be the small o-ring. I'd just try replacing it first. The first time I installed the metal housing, I just tried again replacing the the o-rings. The only thing I know I did different the second time was submerging the o-rings in a pool of oil.
where did you get your 15620-31060 housing?

where did you get your 15620-31060 housing?
At dealer (Olathe Toyota). The sell discounted on line. Would be about the same price as Amazon with shipping though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom