Oil Hemorrhage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last Thursday AM, I noticed that I had a new drip-spot under the Cruizer. A cursory look identified it as oil. I finally had a chance to look closer on Saturday, by which time I had lost about 1/2 quart of oil. It appears that the rear main seal has finally failed. I'm pretty sure this is one of those projects I'll farm out. NOW ACCEPTING SUGGESTIONS FOR SHOPS IN THE PUGET SOUND AREA THAT WILL DO THIS WORK CORRECTLY.
While it's in the shop, should I have the output shaft "clunk" fixed (between "park" and "reverse" or "drive")? Are these items entertwined??? David Dearborn at Urban Land Cruisers noted that the output shaft could be fixed using existing parts. I'm yet to locate a thread that discusses this...
I'm really quite bummed by having yet another leak. I've been 100% dry on the belly-side for over 6 months (since I torqued my oil pan to spec...). I'm hoping to get this taken care of rather quickly, as I have a great deal of fun planned for the remainder of the summer.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

SleekFJ62,

I can't offer a good suggestion for repairs in the Puget Sound area, but if you are willing make the drive south to Portland, the guys over at LandCruiser Northwest will take very good care of you

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

A shop will charge quite a bit to fix that seal. You might as well plan on a clutch change while you're in there.

I had a new clutch installed and a new rear main for about $800, that was at the dealership, the cheapest quote in town!

If he’s going to put a clutch in there he will need a new tranny too since he has an auto now.

Do you know where the leak is originating from or are you guessing? I would not drive it or even start it until you know that it is not the oil galley plug. If this has come loose all the oil could pump out of the engine through there. This plug is located on the head towards the rear on the spark plug side.

In fact it is time for a new H55F 5 speed while you are getting rid of that bad rear main and that rediculous transmission. If $800 is good for a shop rear main just go ahead and plan on $3300 for parts and put in a 5 speed! I will email you the parts list and prices I paid for the donor 1986-87 FJ60 parts and the new stuff. If you A440F is running good you can sell it for $1000 to some schmuck who wants to let someone else decide when to shift.

While your at it, the rear main is a piece of cake.

Dunbar

The truck has 170,000 miles on it. I'm sure it's not the galley plug. The PO had to deal with that (and thank God they handled the issue correctly when it happened). The leak is definitely on the lower portion of the engine.
I looked under the truck again last night. I'm fairly certain it's the rear main.

Dogboy: Thanks for the LC Northwest tip. Is that the shop W works in? I just may make the trek. I like to know that things are done correctly.

Dunbar: Someday I hope to have the H55 in my truck (which may change if I opt to go diesel when the 3FE craps out...It will be a while yet). Wish I could do it today, but the finances simply aren't there. I'm in the midde of a few home improvements. The A440 has been pretty good to me thus far. IMO, the only time it really duds out when ascending mountain passes.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on the output shaft seal. Being a Land Cruiser mechanic-work-in-progress, I'm still not clear on the relationship between the rear main seal and the output shaft issue (if there is one).

Thanks everybody!

I’m glad the plug is taken care of!

I’m not sure what you are asking about the output shaft seal but maybe this will help.

The rear main seal is around the end of the engine crankshaft (in red). The tranny rear output shaft (also in red) is the part that commonly wears on FJ62. You used to be able to get a replacement gear (in green) that rides on more of the shaft to eliminate the slop caused by the spline wear.
FJ62 driveline.jpg

SleekFJ62 said:
Dogboy: Thanks for the LC Northwest tip. Is that the shop W works in? I just may make the trek. I like to know that things are done correctly.

Nope, "W" & James work out of Over The Hill 4x4 in N. Portland. They do good work as well. Nothing against them (I've used them in the past), but my personal preference lies with LandCruiser Northwest.

-db-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom