Oil Gauge Mod??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IBCRUSIN,

That sounds OK, but how to "print" digits on the gauge?

I thought we could find a way to "lay over", or "insert" a correct size gauge into or over that slot, that a reasonable mod would be born. We would need to find an aftermarket gauge the right size.

Gary, possibly a suitable marine application out there?

D

sure, there is not much to the oil pressure gauge as compared to the water temp gauge.

there is a "U" shaped piece is sheet metal, the closed end hangs in free air, one part of the open end is hard mounted the other is hooked to needle via a linkage, a wire winds many turns around one of the arms of the "U"

one side of the wire is switched + from the ignition switch. the other is grounded through a variable resistor in the sender,

I assume this forms an electromagnet and the two arms of the "U" either attract or repel each other in proportion to the current going through the wire and this moves the needle.

sorry for the poor pictures, it was dim and shutter times were long.

Raventai, the way you describe it, seems to me to be a lot like the ones on the 60... Are these Yazaki brand meters? The winding would be a heating coil and the U shped piece, a bimetal.

Anyway if that's the case, I can't see how the receiver unit can go wrong, it's very sturdy. Hmmm.... Tweaking the sender may be more problematic... But at $400 apiece, it may well be worth taking apart and twiddling with...

I don't get this.
If you want numbers, buy an aftermarket gauge and sender that will give you real numbers, and stick it somewhere. Why futz with the OEM gauge?

Raventai, the way you describe it, seems to me to be a lot like the ones on the 60... Are these Yazaki brand meters? The winding would be a heating coil and the U shped piece, a bimetal.

Anyway if that's the case, I can't see how the receiver unit can go wrong, it's very sturdy. Hmmm.... Tweaking the sender may be more problematic... But at $400 apiece, it may well be worth taking apart and twiddling with...

Yes Yazaki Meter,

a heater eh? that would have been my second guess but I did not see the two pieces required to make the bi-metal, they must be laminated together.

$400 for a sender? ouch,

IBCRUSIN,

That sounds OK, but how to "print" digits on the gauge?

I thought we could find a way to "lay over", or "insert" a correct size gauge into or over that slot, that a reasonable mod would be born. We would need to find an aftermarket gauge the right size.

Gary, possibly a suitable marine application out there?

D
By the time you go through the hassle of putting "pretty" numbers on it you could have installed 2 or 3 aftermarket gauges. If it were me I would go through the process I mentioned and put a dot (sharpe or ??) for certain pressures, maybe a low limit psi and relief psi, anything more than that is a waste and confusing.

I don't get this.
If you want numbers, buy an aftermarket gauge and sender that will give you real numbers, and stick it somewhere. Why futz with the OEM gauge?

It's not about numbers. I had a 1KZ-TE (3 litre Diesel) that in the middle of a 1200km trip had the thermostat and radiator cap fail at about the same time. The result was coolant being pumped straight into the overflow bottle and out of the car. In a 7 litre system the car had lost 5 litres.

"Why weren't you watching the temp gauge?", I hear you all say. I was. I senced something was wrong when the auto kept dropping out of overdrive on hills it would normally do with ease in overdrive. The only indication I had on the dash that there was a problem was the oil temp gauge, the pressure had dropped about 3 needle widths below normal.

It's not about numbers, it's about getting the gauge to read between the 1/3 and 2/3 mark purely for indication. As I've said before, the diesel 80's often had this problem from day one, but the actual oil pressure is correct. It is a gauge fault, I grant you that, but replacing the gauge in a diesel 80 doesn't fix the problem, it's been tried several times by many people.

on a side note not sure about the temp gauge on the diesels but the one for 1FZ in the states has a large dead spot.

has anyone checked for compatibility of the 93-97 temp gauge mod with the AUS gauges?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=64252

That is possible. My truck and Dans both show really low oil pressure at idle. Mine I know for sure is 25-35 hot but shows 0 on the factory gauge. I was hoping to see something more accurate like the water temp mod.

here is my thread addressing this. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=102289&highlight=oil+pressure

and in the pictures associated with the thread above, that pic is actually above where the needle is under hot oil conditions. Usually it almost sits on the bottom.

That needle position (in the link) would be acceptable to me if the engine is hot and at idle.

I've been on the LCOOL forum (Land Cruised Owners On Line) for the last 5 yrs and I've not heard of Oz spec vehicles, petrol or diesel, having this problem with their temp gauges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom