1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Gauge Mod???

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by DTAYLOR, Mar 3, 2007.

1. DTAYLOR

DTAYLOR

Has anyone done an oil gauge mod (similar tothe temp gauge mod) to make it more accurate?

If not modded gauge, how about a replacement gauge and, or sending unit?
    D

2. cpg

cpg

Does the oil gauge need a mod?

3. DTAYLOR

DTAYLOR

It is not accurate. It has no pressure # associated with it.

4. cary

cary

Not having numbers doesn't mean the gauge in innacurate, it simply means that it does not have a scale that you are familiar with. The purpose of an oil pressure gauge is to alert you if there is a problem with your engine from low oil pressure or high pressure, the number are irrelevant for day to day. If the gauge goes significantly above the line at 2/3, you know that either the pressure relief spring for the pump is broken or the sender is bad. If it doesn't come off the line at the bottom you have no pressure. It communicates all the things an oil pressure gauge should, so there is no need to modify it.

5. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I agree with Cary sort of. I would like a real gauge, with real numbers. I have no idea if my 1/4 gauge at idle is 5 psi or 35 psi. As others have noted, the gauge is not linear, and is basically a moving idiot light.

6. 83bj60

83bj60

What about a mod so that good oil pressure reads in the middle, low in the bottom, and high in the top third? The 80 series oil gauge often indicates low pressure all the time. Isn't that what dtalyor is looking after? Has anyone ever attempted to actually work on the OEM oil gauge circuitry?

Ins't THAT the real question, instead of numbers and external gauges, to have the OEM gauge work over all of its scale for a proper visual cue of the oil pressure?

7. Waggoner5

Waggoner5 SILVER Star

A moving idiot light is right. This would be a valuable mod just as the water temp gauge mod and possibly as simple. The fact that the stock gauge sits at the bottom does not mean that there is no oil pressure. As a matter of fact, my gauge reads just that when hot at idle. An aftermarket gauge and sender in the same mounting spot shows 25 psi, which is acceptable. Lets get the mod going if someone has time.

8. Jeremiaheaster

Jeremiaheaster

I am curious about this too. While under load (up hill on the freeway) my gauge sometimes reads in between the two thirds line and the max line. The rest of the time it seems to hover right on the 2/3 line. It always makes me wonder if this is normal or not.
    Can an 80 have too high an oil pressure?

9. RavenTai

RavenTai

what would you do to it?

mine spends most of its time at 2/3 mark (relief pressure) and the rest at the 1/3 mark at hot idle, seams just fine to me.

If your 1FZ is showing something different than might be a fault not as by design

10. Waggoner5

Waggoner5 SILVER Star

That is possible. My truck and Dans both show really low oil pressure at idle. Mine I know for sure is 25-35 hot but shows 0 on the factory gauge. I was hoping to see something more accurate like the water temp mod.

11. RavenTai

RavenTai

the temp gauge mod dealt with a known intensional flat spot from Toyota "middle temperature stable" written on the back in Chinese

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=57834

The oil pressure gauge has no such fault as issued, your gauge or sender has an error.

12. cpg

cpg

I like they way mine works . Before the temp guage mod you could tell if the motor was getting warmer on long grades. I can also tell the diff between 10 30 M1 and 15 30 mobil 1.

13. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

as long as it doesn't have a flat spot in the wrong spot, it's fine with me. Mine seems fine to me. :)

14. Waggoner5

Waggoner5 SILVER Star

OK, I assumed that the gauge was similar in design as the water temp.

15. maverick_sr71

maverick_sr71

I tend to agree with the fault being in the sender or the gauge. My 1HZ reads 1/3 at 3000rpm and bottom mark at idle when engines at operating temp.

With an after market gauge on the truck it reads 40psi at idle and 65psi at 3000rpm.

I've shorted the sense wire at the pressure sensor to earth and the gauge read 1/2. I'm told by many 80's owners in Oz that this is quite normal and the gauge in the truck is pathetic and not designed for accurate information.

If some one can come up with a mod I'd be very interested. I just want the gauge at 1/3 at idle and 2/3 at 3000rpm.

16. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

well, IIRC, that's what mine shows....

17. 83bj60

83bj60

Exactly like on my JDM...

This is very interesting... I would assume that a healthy gauge would peg to the top with the sender wire grounded! The mod then would require modifiyng the gauge meter in such a way to increase deflection, possibly by reducin tghe value of a resistor inline with the movement itself...

Exactly my point... Anyone with a spare dash gauge they are willing to offer for research?

18. RavenTai

RavenTai

you guys are not listening, making something do what it did when it was new is not a "mod" it is called a "repair".

I have a spare oil pressure gauge but it already does this, there is nothing to mod.

19. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

I agree, don't see any dead spot in mine. It reads at the 1/3 idle and 2/3 at cruise. To test pull the wire connector off of the sender, turn the key on and the gauge should read at the bottom, not move. Ground the wire at the sender and the gauge should read at the top, if not repairs are needed.

20. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

the only time I've had a low idle pressure reading is when the engine was running hot. I assumed it was from thinning out the oil some.