oil galley plug... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK...so here is my saga. I have a rebuilt F engine (past warranty date now :rolleyes:) that I blew a front oil galley plug out on (and yes it was a metric plug). Fixed that, seems as if it just wasn't dimpled...Now 300 miles later I have a rear main leak with radial streaks on the flywheel and all. I have dropped the rear of the engine, removed the trans/tc, and even ended up rebuilding the tc. My question is knowing the history of the front plug not being installed correctly would you go ahead and replace the rear oil galley plug and cam plug along with the main seal? I have done lots of searching on here and seen some references to taping the hole to eliminate future probs, any advice?
Thanks
IDoc

I would replace them.

:beer:

That is what I was thinking, I have OEM plugs and rear main ordered so I might as well. From what I have read you just use some silicone on the plug, install it, and then dimple it with a drift? Any secrets I need to know ahead of time - I am sick of leaks and sick of doing things twice :mad:

Make sure the area where the plug is supposed to seal is clean and free of oil.

:beer:

Is there a trick to pulling the old plug out without getting any contaminates in the engine? IDoc, do you have the part number for those plugs?

@vt78cruiser

The oil gallery welch plug is NLA from Toyota. It is 24 mm in diameter, don't use a fractional "equivalent". A welch plug is a domed disc, no flange. Read up on installation instructions if you haven't done one before.

The cam cover for a stock 1978 2F engine is 96411-45000, list price of $6.41 at the local Toyota dealer.

I would say it is more than " a dimple" in the dome of the plug. I had one leak that I "dimpled". Fortunately I run all engines I build on a run-stand and saw the leak. Went back and gave it a hard whack with the round end of a ball-peen hammer (held the ball part on the dome, then hit the ball peen with another heavy hammer.) That sealed it.
I am very surprised that the galley plugs are NLA from Toyota. Is it possible they just changed the number (like they often do when referencing a slightly newer engine variant?) Maybe check for galley plug for FJ60 or FJ80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom