oil galley plug blew, now knock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Some friends' FJ60 had the oil galley plug blow out back in December. The loss of oil was not noticed soon enough to avoid damage, but how much damage was done has not been determined. A new plug was tapped in and the 2F refilled with oil. Upon restarting the engine oil was noticed coming from the exhaust pipe, and the engine is reported to be "down on power". I have heard the engine run and have not noticed any excessive oil coming out of the exhaust.

We did a compression check this week with the following results: 170, 170, 170, 170, 140, 170. The plugs were black with deposits. Is it possible to have a situation within the cylinders in which compression is good but there is high oil consumption? Or does good compression typically translate into low oil consumption?

The 2F has around 200k on it. I'm thinking rebuild and have a known fresh engine. With the limited information I have presented here, which is all I have at the moment, what options are availble? And just to get it out of the way a V8 swap is not an option. A diesel swap is out of the question because time and funds are short.

At least from my limited experience with compression tests I would definitely do a leakdown test before you make any decisions. My 3FE had good compression but a leakdown test showed 20% on the #5 cylinder. 2FE is on the way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom