Oil galley plug advice. Already repaired? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was preparing to remove the plug and it appears the plug sits in from the head face. The others I’ve seen here look to be flush. Was this previously fixed??? The area is dry and what’s in there doesn’t have an Allen head and the sides aren’t threaded? Should I leave it alone? Fill the hole with JB weld and call it a day?
C9DC8FA2-9188-4D12-9F20-AD9BC71A3878.jpeg
3CCCD26A-5EA3-4492-BE59-89055644CEF2.jpeg

Last edited:
The plug is in the HEAD, not the block. It looks just fine as it is. There is no "set" distance for the plug to be inserted into the head. If that is the original aluminum plug ( take a small screwdriver or awl and see if it scratches like aluminum), then you might want to follow the many instructions on this site to drill, tap, and seal it with steel plug(s).

sorry. Yes I meant the head (post edited). It does scratch easily so looks like I may proceed with the fix

If you do the plug replacement while the head is still on the engine, take every precaution to prevent metal filings from getting into the oil passage. It's a fiddly job, but brings peace of mind once you're done.

Thanks Doug. I read the threads on it and will follow the grease trick and go slow...

I didn't think these were an issue on non fj60 heads?
My '77 engine had the plug, so (at least) some later 2Fs did.

When I drilled the cruddy OEM aluminum plug out of my FJ62s 3F-E head, I just started the engine and let the oil flow out of the hole for 30 seconds, and that flushed out any metal chips from drilling. The oil did not come shooting out, but came out in a moderate flow. I then cleaned the hole with a Q-tip, tapped it, and inserted an allen-head metric screw with JB Weld slathered on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom