Oil/Fuel Filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can you use a remote oil filter, like off of an early 70's F motor as a fuel filter?
Or should oil filters not be used for gasoline? I'd like the idea of the same filter for both the oil and gas. Plus, mounted vertically with the filter bottom down, wouldn't it also serve as a water trap?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:
You could use the housing, but I think you should use a filter specific to gas. Napa has tons of fuel filters in the spin on can style and a few look like a ph8a/51515 oil filter interms of size and thread.

I think I solved the problem

Got a remote oil filter mount, drilled and tapped the inlet/outlet for 1/4npt and enlarged the opening for the center of the filter. Carquest had a fuel filter the same size as the oil filter. I'm going to fab a bracket out of 3" angle and bolt it to the frame just before the fuel pump. The filter will "hang" from the bracket to (hopefully) trap any water. I still run a glass filter right before the carb.

Ed
dogs 008.jpg
dogs 009.jpg

Last edited:
Ed, I tend to err on the conservative side when it comes to things that could BLOW UP my truck:eek: so I'd say you should a:pressure test that thing at a safe distance from the rig after you've let the filter seal soak in gas for a week [to test seal compatibility], and b: fabricate some type of shield that would preclude a future leaky seal from letting gas shoot in the direction of the coil, dizzy or battery.

:frown:

Given that that IS a fuel filter I'd say the seals BETTER be compatable! If it is mounted before the fuel pump why would there be any pressure? What Ed is doing is the same thing most heavy equipment builders, truck builders and, like mentioned already, boat builders have been doing for years. I doubt he'll see any issues with it.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom