oil from Transfercase to Tranny.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that pre 88' FJ60's had a transfer case oil problem of dumping oil into the tranny and leaving the transfer empty. And i know there is a kit out there that puts the oil back into the transfer, mine is on order. But what i don't understand, and i bet its an easy answer, is when the transfer case pumps oil into the transmission...where does that oil go to? In other words where does it leak out of from there? I recently added gear oil into the transfer case and everyday i leave work there's oil underneath my truck under the skid plate. With there being oil everywhere i can't determine where exactly its coming out of. I have put a seal on my speado cable so its not coming from there.

Your thoughts?

Jason
83' FJ60 (almost 200,000 miles)

You will very likely need to clean the trans and tcase area at a car wash to the best of your ability, then get under there, and see where the 'fresh' oil is leaking from.

Your question of 'where the oil is going'....

It is going into the transmission, past the seal on the transmission output shaft, which is supposed to keep the fluids seperate.

-Steve

This is very common on the high miles, old and hard top t'case input seal.

Because of high miles, and lack of maintenance, (almost no one removes the 6 bolt rear cover, and tightens the trans output shaft nut), the loose input gear will run off center which helps to woddle out the seal, and due to the helical cut of the top input gear, the worn seal will acually act like a cresent pump and push oil into the trans.
The oil transfer tube is a cheap bandaid.
I always install the upgraded double lip seal.
This requires the t/case to be tore apart.......

MC

Marlin-that resolves one of the oldest questions in the book. My FJ40 had this problem(now fixed) and my 60 has it now(bandaided with the MAF hose). I'll assume the seal would get replaced when you install my Toybox. Does it help to pull that cover after the fact and tighten the nut on the input shaft? Thank you sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom