Oil For 3B ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed Rotella changed their formulas for oil and was wondering what everyone was using these days for a non synthetic alternative ? It doesn't look like you can get CC or CD API any longer.

It’s a 3B. As long as you have oil in it you are golden.

Look at your owners manual and determine your temperature range and buy oil accordingly if you are absolutely worried about it.

Otherwise, Rotella 15w40 works fine.

I was running 5-40 but switched to 15-40 due to keeping 3K intervals. No need to spend the extra money on synthetic for these engines. Delo at Costco is $40 for 3 gallons and Rotella is $14/gallon at Home Depot.

I'm using Rotella T6 -- synthetic 15W40 for a few hundred thousand. Works fine.

I run T6 in my duramax so its always on hand and what ill be putting in the 42 when i change the oil

I got a 5 gallon pail of this from my neighbour. Would it be a good choice for a 1983 3b with a turbo?

oil.jpg

I got a 5 gallon pail of this from my neighbour. Would it be a good choice for a 1983 3b with a turbo?

View attachment 2018285

It'll work fine and being a 5W40 will crank better in winter than most as well as protecting well in summer.

Virtually any engine oil will work fine in a 3B. Diesel oil specs continue to improve, they are all backwards compatible and all perform better than oils used to.

I ran Rotella or Delo for years in my 3B and later my 13B-T. Now it gets Supertech or Tech 2000 or whatever Wal mart calls their 15-40 these days. 3k miles change interval. Not remotely worried.

Why are you throwing away good oil at 3k miles?

Comfort. How long do you run your cheap dino oil and do you have some oil analysis sheets to share?

Comfort. How long do you run your cheap dino oil and do you have some oil analysis sheets to share?

I have run dino oil (15w40 so nothing flash) to about 16,000km in my 4BD1T with no issues. Just had the engine apart and was staggered with how clean it was inside. I haven't done oil analysis as I've never considered my use to be pushing any limits.

If you're running clean (i.e. not smoking black) then oil has a pretty long life. Main thing to watch out for is it sludging up with short and cold running.

The 1986 Toyota Maintenance Manual MM001U says for the 2H/3B

Normal Service for Oil/Filter: Replace every 6,000 km or 6 months, but replace oil filter every 12,000 km or 12 months.

Severe Service for Oil/Filter: Replace every 3,000 km or 3 months, but replace oil filter every 6,000 km or 6 months.

For my usage and service the BJ42 gets one oil/filter change a year as it drives for less then 3-4 months of the year.

For the weather/temps around here I've been running whatever cheap 5 gallon pail I have; Typically Cdn Tire or WalMart house brand 15/40.

hth's
gb

Keep in mind oils are far better now than they were in 1986.

If you wanted one oil that would do engine, gearbox, transfer and axles. Consider an STOU (Super Tractor Oil Universal) from a tractor supply company. These oils do everything form turbocharged engines to diffs pulling high load all day. The viscosity of 10W40 matches 75W90 pretty well.

Run a genuine oil filter and ya good. In my opinion a good filter makes far more sence then worrying about the oil, especially on an older diesel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom